Folk sayings about weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Theres a shop near me that used to sell Norfolk weather stones.you would hang it up outside your door and it could predict the weather.

If its swingin'thass windy.

If its wet,thass rainen,

If its dry,that 'ent,

It went on but i cant remember the rest...

Some of the old boys used to say "thass gettin late earlier" around this time of year.:D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've got a book which is a reprint of a early C20th - bought about 10 years ago - published by Senate called "Weather Lore".

it's full of folksayings about the weather from around the world. a bargain for £1.99!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's the thing with a lot of these - nobody can agree on what they actually mean. I'm also sure I've heard a different version of "oak before ash" with the outcomes reversed, but I forget the exact wording...

Personally, I think I'll stick with the Met Office - they may not get it exactly right, but they're usually fairly close.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Theres a shop near me that used to sell Norfolk weather stones.you would hang it up outside your door and it could predict the weather.

If its swingin'thass windy.

If its wet,thass rainen,

If its dry,that 'ent,

It went on but i cant remember the rest...

Some of the old boys used to say "thass gettin late earlier" around this time of year.:D

Hang a rock outside on a piece of string,
If the rock is wet.........it's raining
If the rock is swaying.....it's windy
if the rock is hot.....it's sunny
If the rock is cool.....it's overcast
If the rock is white.....it's snowing
If the rock is gone.....storm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welsh saying

"If you can see across the valley its about to rain, if you can't its already raining"

"Red sky at night - the barns on fire"

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Wicked! some really good ones there, i will have to search out that book. If memory serves me right that article i read mentioned something about farmers in the alps using age old techniques, which even when factoring climate change in, were more accurate than the national met office!

I think they relied on natural " tells", including smell etc. I think i shall start a log book this year and try to learn some of them and put the knowledge to the test!

P.S how thick is the ponies coat this year CBJ ? :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I heard one today about wet summers coming in fives.

..... so only another two washout years to go before we get a proper one then!

ATB

Ogri the trog

ShieldsOnTour

Oct 5, 2009
Edinburgh
"Red sky at night - shepherds delight, red sky in the morning - shepherds warning"

There is a pretty good reason for this being mostly true - at least in the UK.

We get _most_ of out weather coming in from the west (driven here across the atlantic by the gulf stream) and the sun rises in the east. The red colour in the sky is caused by the sun refracting from ice crystals high in the atmosphere (mostly).

Hence if its red at night (when the sun is setting in the west) it normally means that the sun light is shinning through a weather system that has already passed - hence it should be "nice" the next day.

If the red sky is in the morning (when the sun is rising in the east) it means the sunlight is refracting off ice crystals in an incoming weather system.

Its something like that anyway!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE