Folding sleeping mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I've had it with my knock off therma rest!
Going back to a simple sleeping mat but I was also looking at those folding sleeping mats, does anyone have any experience with them?
Cheers,
Will

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Yes mate i have the folding German type from Flecktarn ,I use mine for around the fire with a trap over it to prevent the cold seeping upwards.
I have also used it in my DD Hammock,better than a 3/4 Thermarest which i found awful,but a long way short of a full length Thermarest comfort wise,it dont really lend itself to the shape formed by the hammock.

Anything you like to know just ask

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Will,
I have one, not too bad, not as thick as the British Army kip mat but far more portable due to its design.
I shove mine down between my dry bag and the frame on the inside of my Vulcan, far better than one rolled up and strapped on somewhere. Hope that helps a bit mate,

Brian

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Another one here
or a slightly different, more expensive one here

Never having tried either, i have the feeling that the Highlander one might be a tad more comfortable in use. It is the one i have been toying with getting for a little while

As I said, I have no experience with either, but if anyone has tried the Highlander one, I'd certainly be interested in your views :)

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
How easy are these to cut down?..what i really want is a 3/4 mat to reduce weight...I have a OMM pack that comes with a 1/2 mat but the cost of another mat is about a tenner..its why i am wondering about cutting down
Regards
Stu

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
The slimmer none cammo one will deffo cut down easily ,but its super light as is and tucks under itself,so id suggest getting one and trying it before cutting it down

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
No problem mate just nipped in the garage and looked at mine,were the matt's fold it has a machined fold which is a lot thinner,with a very sharp blade and something flat and even under it,i reckon youd get a very neat cut.

Just to note for anyone interested when folded they fit perfectly in a standard UK Army bergen,the rivets and velcro seal around the frame lift up and it neatly slides in and the seal will come back together with no difficulty at all,this make the bergen comfortable to wear and the matt wont take up any space in the main body.
Its the first thing i get out ,so that i can lay any gear out on to it keeping it clean and off the floor.

Also the current pound land tarps fit over one perfectly wrapped over it, set up for leaning against a tree on sitting on the floor then later you can lift the tarp off and the matt clean to go in your hammock/tent,sitting on one of these really stops the cold coming up into you

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got one of the orange Trespass ones and after ten years it's still going strong :cool:
It got overtaken by the thermarest and now the down mat, but if I'm car camping in Winter I take it along to insulate the floor of the tent next to my bed ..........luxury even :D

cheers,
Toddy

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, toddy where did you get your dowm mate? sounds nice thanks carl
I've got one of the orange Trespass ones and after ten years it's still going strong :cool:
It got overtaken by the thermarest and now the down mat, but if I'm car camping in Winter I take it along to insulate the floor of the tent next to my bed ..........luxury even :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE