Folding Saws!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C4rn1fex

Mar 7, 2013
Southport
I've recently found a really useful web page that lists the basic bushcrafty kit.
Here it is : http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/07/06/bushcraft-on-a-budget-kit/

I've nearly got everything I need but now I've ran into a bit of a wall. When it comes to folding saws I don't know what makes a good'un and what's a waste of money. Can anyone recommend a good saw based on their experience?
I'm looking for good quality and performance but something someone can afford on a shoe string budget.

Any help is appreciated :D

Dave

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Generally on here the consensus is for either Bahco Laplander or a Silky saw.

Silkies cut better (smoother & faster) but cost more
Laplanders are tough and robust and a bit cheaper.

Both are excellent saws. If a budget is your main limiting factor, go for the Laplander.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If want cheaper than a laplander, forget folding and get a bahco bowsaw, a 24" should be around a tenner or less, and will obviously out cut any folding saw.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Get a Silky F180, same price as a Laplander (£18.00) but ten times the saw, it makes a brand new laplander look blunt.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If want cheaper than a laplander, forget folding and get a bahco bowsaw, a 24" should be around a tenner or less, and will obviously out cut any folding saw.

My Silky F180 out cut a 24" bow saw earlier this week:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Calling nonsense, 7" blade vs 24"

Go and ask Rockmonkey & Hugo then, they were both there there and it was Rockmonkies bow saw the Silky out cut, in fact he put his bow saw away as the silky was doing a far better job on the timber we were processing at the time.

Bigger is not always better.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Go and ask Rockmonkey & Hugo then, they were both there there and it was Rockmonkies bow saw the Silky out cut, in fact he put his bow saw away as the silky was doing a far better job on the timber we were processing at the time.

Bigger is not always better.

Still nonsense. Your talking about a specific instance of cutting probably something around 4" diameter or less.

If you have to have one saw, a bowsaw is the way to go in my opinion. Cheap, replacement blades cheap, and choice of raker or peg toothed.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Still nonsense. Your talking about a specific instance of cutting probably something around 4" diameter or less.

If you have to have one saw, a bowsaw is the way to go in my opinion. Cheap, replacement blades cheap, and choice of raker or peg toothed.

It's not nonsense at all, you were not there, so how could you possibly know unless you have first hand experience of the two saws we used on the day?, and for your reference the tree was larger than 4" diameter, but it also wasn't a big tree, im not disputing that a bow saw is the way to go, but you seem to have a problem accepting that a folding saw out cut a bow saw on the day, despite there being two witnesses to the fact.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Another good option is the Wolf Garten folding saw.

Link

I got one from these guys and its genuine. Can't go wrong for that price and it easily the equal to the laplander after using them side by side. They're often in shops for £30 or more.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Another good option is the Wolf Garten folding saw.

Link

I got one from these guys and its genuine. Can't go wrong for that price and it easily the equal to the laplander after using them side by side. They're often in shops for £30 or more.

Ive not used that particular model, but i use Wolf blade on my pole saw and they are superb blades.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It's not nonsense at all, you were not there, so how could you possibly know unless you have first hand experience of the two saws we used on the day?, and for your reference the tree was larger than 4" diameter, but it also wasn't a big tree, im not disputing that a bow saw is the way to go, but you seem to have a problem accepting that a folding saw out cut a bow saw on the day, despite there being two witnesses to the fact.

Mate it is. Your cutting branches unscientifically. Your results are useless.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk

I do not like bowsaws as, IME, they do not cut in a straight line but wander off to one side..... perhaps it is me.
I like silkies and laplanders, quite fond of chainsaws as well :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Mate it is. Your cutting piddly branches unscientifically. Your results are useless.

You believe what you want sunshine, i was there, you were not, and i know what i experienced and saw.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I do not like bowsaws as, IME, they do not cut in a straight line but wander off to one side..... perhaps it is me.

I dont have a problem with bow saws, for lots of hand cutting they are superb, just not as a packable as my bucksaw or Silkies, but you are right they can wander off on the cut, the Bucksaw we also used earlier in the week wandered off on the cut quite well, mind you, i also dont think i tensioned the blade enough on it, like wise though, im also partial to a Stihl:)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
laplander seems to be the standard issue of most campers these days, and for good reason. It's cheap and works well, I own one and can vouch for it first hand. My neighbour has a fancy silky one and it is very professional! all metal ody I think it has and the blade is ferrocious in wood, but they are expensive and the blades also cost a nut!

Lidl are selling folding saws atm for £3, I picked one up to play with. So far for the £3 I'd say it's pretty good, it doesn't cut aswell as the laplander and it has a very flexable blade - but for the money it's decent. I stays in my mancave incase I 'need' it.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Its a common thing for bow-saws to wander. Most of the time its insufficient tension in the blade. Most people store their metal bow saws with the blade still in tension, which weakens the 'Springiness' of the metal frame. Its easy to forget to release the tension, but makes a big difference. Other major causes are the two uprights to be slightly out of line and twisting the blade as the cut is made.

Ive not used that particular model, but i use Wolf blade on my pole saw and they are superb blades.

I've got the pole saw too and have the same opinion. It sold the folding one to me TBH. I don't think its quite as sharp as the pole saw, but it seems to keep its edge very well.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Its a common thing for bow-saws to wander. Most of the time its insufficient tension in the blade. Most people store their metal bow saws with the blade still in tension, which weakens the 'Springiness' of the metal frame. Its easy to forget to release the tension, but makes a big difference. Other major causes are the two uprights to be slightly out of line and twisting the blade as the cut is made.

Think the more common problem was the frames getting banged about and generally abused, rather than the frame weakening over time under tension.

[Used to look after an organisations tools which included 40 odd bowsaws].

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Think the more common problem was the frames getting banged about and generally abused, rather than the frame weakening over time under tension.

[Used to look after an organisations tools which included 40 odd bowsaws].

Could be a big factor TBH. Weakening tension affects all metal frame saws though. Its the same with fret/coping saws and hacksaws. Car bodywork too-the longer a dent is left, the harder it is to pop back.

The reverse happens with springer airguns-leave them cocked and the spring will weaken.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE