folding saw

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
just to add - if you have the cash then people say the Silky range of saws (pocketboy) are the premium choice - nowt wrong with the bahco's though - hence my original recommendation

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
just to add - if you have the cash then people say the Silky range of saws (pocketboy) are the premium choice - nowt wrong with the bahco's though - hence my original recommendation

Love my old Sandvik/Bahco saws but I have to agree with mountainm. If you have the money, the Silky is a definite improvement and worth the price.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Only problem with the silkys is that they are easily bent/broken if your not careful. They work on the pull stroke so are much thinner steel, as they don't need the rigidity for a cut on the push stroke. Top saws though. I've got the big boy which i carry instead of a bow saw when i need something that size. I carry a laplander for general use. It needs replacing now as i've had it for 4 years and its showing the use its had.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i'm in the silky camp I'm afraid. Bachos are good but silkys are better ;)

I've been using them semi professionally for 5 years and only bent the tip of one when I got it stuck in a tree about 3m above my head (pole saw taking a limb off) and slipped on the mud so pulled at a funny angle with all my bodyweight.

I've got some cheapy folding saws (for volunteers to use), a bacho and a bunch of silkys and of the non-silky saws the bacho is the best of them.

silky big boy just upgraded the blade to the 2000 curved blade version with extra large teeth and have heavy pruned out my orchard with it including taking some trees back to stumps all with little to no effort much improved over the already good straight large teeth blade and can do 10-12" logs easily

BUT isnt a cheap option

ATB

Duncan

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
hiya miles888 bahco laplander for me too w wet blade, goes in the webbing with me survival knife
ive got a green one w two wet blades, cuts all i need anything bigger would need a bow saw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE