Folding Saw - Ray Mears Bushcraft - Thursday, 28/04/05

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
In this program Ray uses a wood folding saw.

Any ideas where he got it from?

Looking at it, I really think it might be hand made so does anyone know of a pattern? I see lots of trial and error in my future!

It was a bit weird really, always been a small knife, big knife(Billhook or machette - want to try a heavy/old Kurki), and saw person, but was really impressed with how he carved that paddle.

Might have to do an axe course.

Regards,

Ps I miss Tracks, of all the programs so far this one actual had bushcraft in it and more importantly you got to see it.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Minotaur,

Every carpenter can make them, I remember my father made lots of them often using as a saw blade a piece of a broken band saw in which he drilled 2 holes at the end to stick normal cut down nails through to hold the blade.

If you ever get one and put it on tension by turning the "paddle" to "shorten" the rope don't let go of it because when if it is hold somewhat in an angle it can unwind fast and like a propellor turning really hurt.
Don't ask me why I know :eek: , I just do, just as I would liked to have known how to keep a saw from jumping out of a fresh cut, I almost sawed off my left thumb when I was a teenager and still can't bend it as the right hand one ;)

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Minotaur said:
In this program Ray uses a wood folding saw.

Any ideas where he got it from?

Looking at it, I really think it might be hand made so does anyone know of a pattern? I see lots of trial and error in my future!

It was a bit weird really, always been a small knife, big knife(Billhook or machette - want to try a heavy/old Kurki), and saw person, but was really impressed with how he carved that paddle.

Might have to do an axe course.

Regards,

Ps I miss Tracks, of all the programs so far this one actual had bushcraft in it and more importantly you got to see it.

Folding saw? Do you mean the green laplander folding saw or the wooden swede saw?

Lapplanders are quite common - swede saw you can make yourself all you need to do is buy the blade (why waste money else where) and a set of nuts and bolts to thread through the ends of said blade when attaching to swede saw set up before tensioning. Easy peasy! Plus if it breaks you know how to repair it - a indespensible skill in the wilds!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This sort of one? Wooden Bow saw, they're what we used before metal frame saws
0412.jpg
these are about £50 but they're not the same as Rays, his was more basic, which I would say in the wilds meant, more reliable ;)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
What he was using is called buck saw, popular in the USA and Canada. Similar to the bow saw Tony posted. Old Jimbo has a great article on outdoor saws that includes these on his web site here:

Old Jimbo - Saws for the Outdoors

Check out this antique primitive wooden buck saw on sale on the net which looks totally do-able in the field with a blade and some cordage:

182778_lg.jpg

or buy it! :D

Lot 803. A primitive wooden buck saw. made from sticks. uncommon type. (GOOD+).(20.00 - 40.00) Length: 27.50 Inches.

I like the way the cross bar is slotted into the stick handles.

I believe Gary has made one out of beech wood? Maybe he could post some simple instructions..[hint] :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Some other examples and also ones for sale (USA).

Buck Saw/ Backpacking Saw
Most of the new "camp saws" and "back packer saws" simply have too short of a blade to be able to cut wood efficiently and easily. That's not the issue with our Buck Saw. Made of oak for durability but only weights 15 oz. the saw come with a a racked tooth hard point design to prevent binding when sawing wood. Uses standard 21" Bow Saw replacement blades. Each saw is hand-made so please allow 4-6 weeks delivery time,

Buck Saw
Price- $49.95
Buck_Saw_LARGE.jpg

This ebay site has some photo details of another type

Buck Bow Saw Vintage/Antique, Wood, Primitive

Trail Blazer - Canada do a modern lightweight metal version. Not sure you can get these in Europe though.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Moonraker said:
What he was using is called buck saw, popular in the USA and Canada. Similar to the bow saw Tony posted. Old Jimbo has a great article on outdoor saws that includes these on his web site here:

Old Jimbo - Saws for the Outdoors

Check out this antique primitive wooden buck saw on sale on the net which looks totally do-able in the field with a blade and some cordage:

182778_lg.jpg

or buy it! :D

Lot 803. A primitive wooden buck saw. made from sticks. uncommon type. (GOOD+).(20.00 - 40.00) Length: 27.50 Inches.

I like the way the cross bar is slotted into the stick handles.

I believe Gary has made one out of beech wood? Maybe he could post some simple instructions..[hint] :)

I have Simon they are very easy to make, I dont have and pictures of it however - I think Mors Kochanski has a fully tutorial in his book.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
I have Simon they are very easy to make, I dont have and pictures of it however - I think Mors Kochanski has a fully tutorial in his book.
OK, thanks Gary :)

For reference, 'Bushcraft' Mors Kochanski. Lone Pine Publishing.paperback version.page 142 The improvised frame saw.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
apologies but I couldn't resist... here is the saw I made a couple of weeks ago - copied from memory off a friends. Made with knife and folding saw in about 1and a half hours from a single ash pole, some cord and a blade.
161287.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I made a canvas sheath for the whole thing. The edge of the blade is covered with a piece of rubber tubing split along it's length. I made a small leather pouch to store the nuts and bolts. I keep a piece of paraffin in the sheath as well to coat the blade.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Hoodoo said:
I made a canvas sheath for the whole thing. The edge of the blade is covered with a piece of rubber tubing split along it's length. I made a small leather pouch to store the nuts and bolts. I keep a piece of paraffin in the sheath as well to coat the blade.
Ah! OK. neat idea.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
yes it works well but the pressure / tension joints need some tweaking to make it easier to reassemble quickly. The apple tree was done in January and is now largely spoons and kindling.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Fluxus said:
yes it works well but the pressure / tension joints need some tweaking to make it easier to reassemble quickly. The apple tree was done in January and is now largely spoons and kindling.

Flexus thats similar to mine - one thing I found was that for several months after I made it it needed retensioning as the wood and the cordage stretched - now mine is very rustic looking as the wooden stiles are quite warped - that said it works well and I use it regularly on courses!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hoodoo said:
This is one I made about a year ago out of poplar. Very sturdy, and packs down pretty easily. Cuts like mad.

bucksaw2b.jpg

One of the nice things about this design compared to the ones tensioned by twisting a string with a peg is that you can reach through the upper part of the saw frame to hold the unsupported end of the wood being cut. These saws can be made pretty long (30 inches or more) if you wish.

Alick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The missus and myself were just looking at the folding saw pictured above, if a groove was cut in one upright of the H, the blade could be detatched at one end and pivoted around on the other bolt and slotted into the groove, thus masking the blade. The groove wouldn't need to be that deep, just enough to cover the teeth. Is this feasible?

Spamel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE