Folding MultiBlade Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've been playing with my SAK farmer for a few weeks now and I'm still really impressed with it. It even cuts well despite the fact it seems to end up blunter after I sharpen it sometimes :nono:
Indeed it is currently a sharpening project and I'll most likely kill the blade at some point but I'm not going to get any better without regularly using a knife which I'm sharpening.
For me it is a great pocket knife for bushcrafty projects for several reasons:
  • Saw
  • Nice Big Blade
  • Awl at the end not middle
  • Solid Handles
  • Non-threatening appearance
However I find doing any fine carving bits difficult with such a long blade and could really do with having a small blade rather than a bottle opener or can opener.
Does anyone know of any reasonable price knives that would fit the bill?

I know that the moras are regularly recommended as good starter knives but a fixed blade is not something which is practical for me (and no doubt many others) on a regular basis. As such I was wondering if we could design/find/recommend a bushcraft multiblade knife.
The awl and saw let me take on (and hopefully succeed) projects like whistles and avoid nasty jobs such as batoning.

Hopefully I've made myself clear :confused:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have the sak climber and this fits all my needs without being to bulky
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
sam_acw said:
As such I was wondering if we could design/find/recommend a bushcraft multiblade knife.
I like the idea of designing our own, we could all say what we want on the knife and badger victorinox into knocking up one for a group buy.............

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Jon Pickett said:
I like the idea of designing our own, we could all say what we want on the knife and badger victorinox into knocking up one for a group buy.............
would victorinox do that
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would like a knife that is a locker, but on casual inspection, it does not look like a locker, meaning it would need a clever bit of design work.
Also one with a wine rack would be good too........... :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my ideal sak would be the climber with a saw, what would everyone elses be?
leon

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've just ordered an alox electrician plus for about £15 from e-bay.
It's got the same features as the farmer but one of the opener things has been replaced with a sheepsfoot "electricians" blade. Not sure why an electrician would need a wood saw but there you go......

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
No, Victorinox won't custom design knives. I can't remember where I read that, but it's on the world wide web somewhere. I don't really see much of a point in designing your own SAK when there are so many models available, a person's bound to find one that suits their need eventually. Take me for example: I have a love-hate relationship with SAK's I can't stand them half the time, but the other half of the time I can't leave the house without one. Whatever, my preferred model is the Driver for every day carry. It's small, light and simple. The only tools it has are a large blade, small blade, bottle opener, and a can opener. I don't think a person can really go wrong with an SAK, they fill a certain niche in a way that a Leatherman or a Gerber just can't.

My two cents!

Adam

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I really like my Alox Farmer. The One-Handed-Trekker is also excellent. As is the Swisstool Spirit. One of those three is usually found on me as EDC. The last two lock, and the Spirit's lock is pretty discreet.

For a customized SAK, you can probably find a modder at SOSAKonline.com to help you make your creation.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have an Alox Farmer and like it a lot. Haven't I seen somewhere about taking an SAK apart and putting it back together again - perhaps you could custom make your own? I don't mean replacing the scales, I mean a full rebuild.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE