Folding knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Thank you for the wealth of information provided!

I have decided to wait untill pay day before purchasing my knife but the Advice on here will definitely help! Why I love this forum!

I tend to take out the tools I need from the pick up into the woods (minus a knife...) and cater such to the job, so rather than a Swiss or multi tool I will be going for a simple folding knife!

I own several knives including opinels but have not managed to find one that is just perfect! Fussy I know! I like the ability to batton in case of a wet weather Kelly kettle break, it's one of the reason I like a thicker blade.

Again all the advice is much appreciated, you have all contributed to my decision.

Cheers

Danny

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Thank you for the wealth of information provided!

I have decided to wait untill pay day before purchasing my knife but the Advice on here will definitely help! Why I love this forum!

I tend to take out the tools I need from the pick up into the woods (minus a knife...) and cater such to the job, so rather than a Swiss or multi tool I will be going for a simple folding knife!

I own several knives including opinels but have not managed to find one that is just perfect! Fussy I know! I like the ability to batton in case of a wet weather Kelly kettle break, it's one of the reason I like a thicker blade.

Again all the advice is much appreciated, you have all contributed to my decision.

Cheers

Danny

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Battoning a folder is going to be a little problematic. Very easy to damage even a high quality folder battoning. I’d be tempted to use my folder to carve some holly wedges.

Or buy/make yourself a small free to carry inside the Kelly for splitting kindling.

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
One of my favouritest folders is the Spyderco ParaMilitary 1, the old one. It is one I would say that I take out most frequently as something that can do the jobs of a front pocket knife .. though eating with it is, you know, a gesture :) ... it can also do much of the work a fixed blade does. I found the Para2 a considerable disappointment. Nice and refined, but not as burly, hunched up, intense and capable as the Para 1.

Trouble will be finding one now that isn't at an absurd collector type price. However, there is hope as the Para 3 turns out to be a beezer of a knife! Look at some YouTubes for guidance re. scale and capacity

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
BATONING WITH A FOLDING KNIFE ???

It is the lighter option to take a small hatchet with you!

If you baton with a folding knife you have to take a large first aid kit with you, and you will surely need it soon!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you don't need the different tools from the Victorinox Compact, I recommend to stay with the Opinel Carbone No8.

I think it is the best single bladed folding knife.

There is a reason, why now a days you can get it everywhere. It simply cuts!

Most knifes I have seen in my life didn't do this job as well as the Opinel Carbone knifes.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, it is a bit of a delicate operation, Erbswurst .. not necessarily one to full-throatedly recommend either, and in any case it is for light applications ... but the trick with a longer stouter blade like on the Para 1 is to disengage the lock .... and be careful :lol:

I love the Opi 8 in the way that most people do, and it cuts cuttily, but I do find it a bit too thin for things tougher than a particularly hard parmesan crust or a perilously dry sausage end. Or, at least, and this is perhaps a better way of putting t, I feel I don't quite trust it in those areas. That edge is a fine thing in both meanings of the word.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, but in my opinion for harder jobs a full tang knife or a hatched is recommended.

There are some very light on the market.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE