Folding knife recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
Bit of an ambiguous one.

I’d like to get a gift for my uncle of a small pocket knife.

- approximately 3 inch blade
- two hand opening
- traditional looking

Two confounding factors that limit my own knowledge:

It will be used every day and needs to take a good edge / be a good cutter.

It will be used around salt water (ship yard and occasionally on a boat / fishing).

I struggle a bit here as most of my knowledge / preference is to modern knives such as spyderco that don’t have the look I’m after / I think he would like.

I’m easy as to whether it locks or not, as he’s not in the UK.

Ideally, less than £125 but there’s some flex.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Salt water = stainless
Boatyard..Fishing= rope/line/cordage

Not too difficult to sharpen for someone who is practical, and the spike is handy. Whitby Knives Uk £46.

A possible option ?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I found one of these. It had some surprisingly good reviews and is my daily carry. Being in the maintenance trade I am probably ok but it is a locker, so your choice.
S

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Your criteria are a challenge, as I'd suggest something from Spyderco's Salt line (anything with LC300N and the grippy when wet FRN like the Native 5, Salt 2 etc.) but they most certainly are not traditional looking! Also one hand openers...

I have zero personal experience with this knife, but it should be pretty stain resistant with its stainless outer laminate and high chromium content cutting core, you can dismantle it for cleaning, it's traditional in styling, and it's within budget: https://heinnie.com/fallkniven-p-concept-gold-plated

Lacijag1

Forager
Bit of an ambiguous one.

I’d like to get a gift for my uncle of a small pocket knife.

- approximately 3 inch blade
- two hand opening
- traditional looking

Two confounding factors that limit my own knowledge:

It will be used every day and needs to take a good edge / be a good cutter.

It will be used around salt water (ship yard and occasionally on a boat / fishing).

I struggle a bit here as most of my knowledge / preference is to modern knives such as spyderco that don’t have the look I’m after / I think he would like.

I’m easy as to whether it locks or not, as he’s not in the UK.

Ideally, less than £125 but there’s some flex.

Look around here, lots of traditional looking knives, stainless steel, 2 hand open uk friendly.

This one is a forign maker but i highly reccomend him. I have 2 pocket knives from him. All knives handmade, traditional, most of them stainless.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE