Folding bushcraft EDC multi-tool legal question

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I am in the process of making a multi blade EDC folder. One of the tools I would like on it is a saw. However, strictly speaking, would I have to keep the saw below 3 inches? I'm thinking yes but would really like as much length as possible.

The end of the saw could be made blunt or rounded but it's the interpretation of 'blade' that I'm struggling with. To me a saw had a sharp edge which in my mind constitutes a blade so if I want a worry free EDC I will have to keep it to 3 inches?

What does thee reckon?

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Cheers for the link Jared, seems my thinking was right and the consensus is a saw falls under section 139. I think I will keep it under the limit as I want a no quibble EDC?

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm not sure on the saw blade yet, Axminster tools do some nifty small blades in all different cutting styles or there is an Opinel saw but would be a waste cutting it down. I'm sure I could file a decent cross cut pattern in a standard Opinel blade if needed but a ready made would be better with something akin to hard point teeth like the Bacho?
A Jigsaw blade holder is something i have pondered on for a while and I have several designs in my head but I think for this folder project something a bit more traditional would be cool.

Steve

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, Silky smallest is 5"... could've used a replacement blade.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....A Jigsaw blade holder is something i have pondered on for a while and I have several designs in my head....

Me too, I think it'd be a natural continuation to bushcraft approach to tools:

bucksaw - axe
folding saw - fixed blade knife
jigsaw blade holder - folding knife

It just makes sense to me.

Cheers,

Stuart.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes a multi blade holder would be useful, it's not too often you have to say cut metal out in the wilds but it does happen.

Once I was night fishing on a closed lake and became very ill suddenly with suspected food poisoning? In a blur of nasty ejections from all ends I packed up and made it back to my car but found I was the only person on the lake that night and the gates were locked shut with a chain and padlock. I felt so rough I just wanted to die right there! I had no number to call the baliff so after some panic during which the thought of ramming through the gates with the car occurred I realized I had a metal saw on my Leatherman Wave and set about cutting the chain. 10 mins later I was through and I was soooo relieved to be free and going home!!

I'm thinking of milling out the T shape of the Jigsaw blade tang in one piece of flat metal then having another flat piece over the top to hold it in place? It's a case of how to hold these pieces together though without it becoming too wide? A grub screw would need a certain thickness of metal for the thread, likewise a small magnet may work but again would be bulky?

The more I think about this the more I'm leaning toward using some sort of wrapping to hold the 2 pieces together snug? Maybe something as simple as rubber bands could hold it enough and even make it kind of like a quick release system?

Will have a play in the garage and see what occurs!

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Prototype no. 1 of the Jigsaw blade holder, excuse my novice milling skills;)

Despite the crudity it holds solidly and I have no doubt a piece of flat metal over the top and a rubber band would suffice?

Steve

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Prototype no. 1 of the Jigsaw blade holder, excuse my novice milling skills;)...
Despite the crudity it holds solidly and I have no doubt a piece of flat metal over the top and a rubber band would suffice?

Steve

It looks like a workable solution, I think a plate of some description to hold the blade into the recess and you're more or less cracked it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE