Folding backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would like to get a small folding backpack that I can leave in my pocket, but which can be used to carry a small amount of shopping home if I accidentally purchase something when out and about. Needs to be able to take a 5-7kg load, whilst being small enough to fit in a jeans pocket.

Has anyone got any experience of such packs?

Thanks

Julia

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I have one that I bought many years ago. It folds up and stuffs up into a built in zipper pouch that becomes a small outside pouch when pack is fully opened.
I think I bought it at K-Mart. I am sure you might find one at whatever the British equivelent is.
It is a very handy thing , lightweight has the capacity of what uou are looking for, and when folded up it is about the size of a mans wallet.:cool:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have one that I bought many years ago. It folds up and stuffs up into a built in zipper pouch that becomes a small outside pouch when pack is fully opened.
I think I bought it at K-Mart. I am sure you might find one at whatever the British equivelent is.
It is a very handy thing , lightweight has the capacity of what uou are looking for, and when folded up it is about the size of a mans wallet.:cool:

I had something similar from a supermarket, it fell apart very quickly. Wasn't impressed.

J

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
For a jeans pocket the Silnylon ones from Sea to summit will be about as big as you want too go. I expect they will be ideal. I don't have any experience of them but I have the shopping bag as an extra bag as does SWMBO in pretty much every bag I carry and they do a good job.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I use an Onya bag, mag of recycled parachute silk, have regularly carried 10kg+ in it, about size of small apple/clementine, bit bigger than carrier bag. had mine 6+ years, no wear and tear yet. Not backpack tho

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
keep meaning to get a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Pocket Daypack - they are tiny and could be easily carried on a key ring

at the moment I use one of those drawstring sports bags but its seen better days

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
+1 for the Sea to Summit + the Onya backpacks - I have both (one was a pressie) and both are excellent, very durable. The Onya side bag is good too.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have been carrying one bought from Decathlon in France for about three years for the purpose you suggest. It lives in my jacket pocket so on hot walks I can take the jacket off and stuff it in the bag. Ideal when not carrying a pack or daysack. It's one of my best purchases ever. It si very like an Onya bag but cheaper.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Live venture do a travel 'bum bag' which has a daypack stuffed integrally; quite handy but that's been overseas mainly.
Bum bags in the UK tend to be laughed at!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
A little off topic, Sainsburys do a really small packed shopping bag. Holds loads, tough fabric.... I've been eyeing mine to see how I could convert it. At £1 each, two would supply enough material to make a sac with a flap if anyone is handy with a sewing machine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE