Fog, Fatwood, Fungi, and a Face

Finally got to go for a walk in the woods yesterday. No pack or kit just a couple of knives...couldn't make up my mind...and my camera and a few of hours of walking through the fog. I really didn't do much of anything but enjoy the walk and the peace....and gathered some fatwood. I was looking for oysters but no luck, maybe i need to try the river bottoms. The trees are starting to turn color up on the mountain. I'm not going to do much typing this time as most of the pictures need no explaining. Just look through and imagine the only sounds being that of rustling leaves in an occasional stiff breeze, a few birds chirping now and then, a couple of squirrels barking in the distance, and the ever present sound of drops of water hitting the leaves.

b23926d6.jpg

250f629f.jpg

ea68ce50.jpg

5c2da137.jpg

cf3b06bc.jpg

324c1cb7.jpg

0ded4e20.jpg

cb254e00.jpg

7cd880e7.jpg

6e9fed25.jpg

I did find a nice fatwood stump...

6b51a976.jpg

416840f9.jpg

A squirrel's dining room...

b12b279d.jpg

and I thought this was pretty cool. Is it just me or does anybody else see a contorted face in this tree? It reminds me of the painting "The Scream" by Edvard Munch

44bffb39.jpg

This is looking it in "the eye"

78e4b731.jpg

Man it sure was nice just to walk around in the complete absence of the sounds of civilization for a while.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I see the face....

So its just the two of us that are mad then...

Excellent phot's again.

Love to see more of your surrounding area.

Go walkabout please and take the camera.:You_Rock_

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Mistwalker , what 'rights to roam' do you have in you neck of the woods?
That is what areas are you allowed to legally ramble , walk over and camp in etc?

Just interested.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Mistwalker,

Lovely countryside and great pics.

Will have to get to your neck of the woods sometimes as in your pics there's always a load of "knife-trees". Many folks don't believe that good blades grow naturally in quiet woodland by you seem to have found a good area with an excellent harvest yet again. :rolleyes:

Great post mate - and yes I'm obviously slightly mad as I too see the face in the tree... but I see that a lot... and hear the voices - ( don't tell anyone but the voices have great ideas!!!)

Goatboy.

Tee Dee,

There are places in this area that have been set aside for hiking and camping. Several miles of the Cumberland Trail and several hundred acres of woods. Also I have access to all of the County public land and several acres of private properties that I have access to as well.

Thanks guys, glad you like the pics. Lol, the knife tree pics stem from another forum I am on...it's a knife forum and I can't just post nature pics there, there is a requirement for at least one, and preferably two or three, picture with the knife (s) carried on the hike.

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
Seems like a great day out, my turn ot and about tomorrow, going to try and find some fungi and fatwood.

Love the face great photo.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cracking pics as ever. Been on a few local wood walks lately and there looking great.
The recent rain has started the fungi off at last.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
nice pics, i see the face also, wierd tree, fog & eerie silence....stay on the path, hooooowwwwwlll!!!

was out myself today.. How do u attach pics to a thread, i have a couple i'd like to share.

Ta!!

nice pics, i see the face also, wierd tree, fog & eerie silence....stay on the path, hooooowwwwwlll!!!

was out myself today.. How do u attach pics to a thread, i have a couple i'd like to share.

Ta!!

Thanks, I'm glad you like the pics. Lol, actually the whole point was to get "off-the-trail" :D

Do you have a photo-hosting account with someone like photobucket? I use photobucket so it I can explain but I'm unfamiliar with the others.

That place looks beautiful..stirs something deep inside.Thanks for showing.

Thanks I think it's beautiful there too. My memories of that place go back a lot of years, and it does stir some things deep within me for sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE