Fly Tying - Jay wings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Is anyone on here into fly tying and would like a pair of Jay wings?

I've just knocked on off the bird feeder in the garden and was wondering if the feathers/wings would be of use to anyone.

I have no idea which bits people use or what to do to them. If you want them let me know.

I don't want anything for them.

Cheers
Grebby

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Keep up the good work.

Not sure about their use in fly tying but those beautiful pin feathers make a nice addition to a hat band.

K

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I actually sat and watched a pair of Jays today as they attempted to raid a Bluetit box....fascinating to watch them 'reasoning' out how to get into the box, very obviously they had done it before, neither even tried the pop-hole but shuffled around until one was able to lift the lid whilst the other one reached in, not quite as easy as it sounds as they had to work together and neither could actually stand on top of the box to perform the actions. It wasn't just the fact that they had clearly done it before to previous boxes but more the fact that it was a learned skill that neither would have been able to carry out without working together. I wonder if these two had sussed it out or if they had been taught it and would/will in turn pass the skill on to their youngsters. Obviously birds are more than capable of learning as we see by them using feeders and pecking through bottle tops even gathering at regular feeding stations etc. but working together seemed to add a whole lot more to it.

D.B.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Why do you want to be shooting Jays?

They are lovely looking birds but they do nest raid as mentioned above. There are loads of them here (far more than when I was young) and since I've been shooting these and magpies I've noticed an increase in songbirds in the area.

Grey squirrels and woodies also get shot but that's because they taste nice.

Now if we can leave the whys and wherefores of me shooting them and get back to if anyone would like the nice shiney feathers for fly tying it would be nice.

Uilleachan and SoldierPalmer, thankyou for the info on the flies.

Thanks
Grebby

P.S. Mods if this is in the wrong area please feel free to delete/move.

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
They are lovely looking birds but they do nest raid as mentioned above. There are loads of them here (far more than when I was young) and since I've been shooting these and magpies I've noticed an increase in songbirds in the area.

Sounds like worst kind of confirmation bias to me.
I am unfamiliar with any strong scientific evidence that corvids cause any appreciable decline in song bird populations. But I am happy to learn if you know of any.

People see song bird numbers decline and corvid numbers rise and assume the two are linked. Not the case. There does not have to be causation even if there might be correlation.
Modern agricultural methods are the most likely explanation for song bird decline. Corvid intelligence the most likely reason they are able to better adapt to their changing environment.

Jays in particular are pretty shy birds and mostly survive on woodland nuts, they are highly unlikely to be in direct competition with the songbirds at your feeders as they generally prefer larger nuts and being away from man.

Corvids are themselves predated by even larger and rarer species, by reducing their numbers you inadvertently remove a potential source of food for these.

In fact corvids are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, they have huge brains in relation to their size and have been seen to be able to solve complex problems using tools (even in the wild). Would you be so willing to kill a great ape or a dolphin (comparable intelligences) to 'save' song birds? I'd hope not.

Finally if you really want to help song birds you'd be much better off planting hedgerows, but please don't take my word for any of this, just spend some time researching it properly with an open mind.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Jays' are on the general license as a pest species, however prior to sanctioning lethal action against any bird on the general or granted license; the license states that all other non lethal methods must first be exhausted, top comply with the license conditions and therefore the law.

There are no Jays' in my part of the country, so I'm always keen when I spot them whilst I'm traveling through places where they are.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I am unfamiliar with any strong scientific evidence that corvids cause any appreciable decline in song bird populations. But I am happy to learn if you know of any.

People see song bird numbers decline and corvid numbers rise and assume the two are linked. Not the case. There does not have to be causation even if there might be correlation.
Modern agricultural methods are the most likely explanation for song bird decline. Corvid intelligence the most likely reason they are able to better adapt to their changing environment.

Jays in particular are pretty shy birds and mostly survive on woodland nuts, they are highly unlikely to be in direct competition with the songbirds at your feeders as they generally prefer larger nuts and being away from man.

Corvids are themselves predated by even larger and rarer species, by reducing their numbers you inadvertently remove a potential source of food for these.

In fact corvids are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, they have huge brains in relation to their size and have been seen to be able to solve complex problems using tools (even in the wild). Would you be so willing to kill a great ape or a dolphin (comparable intelligences) to 'save' song birds? I'd hope not.

Finally if you really want to help song birds you'd be much better off planting hedgerows, but please don't take my word for any of this, just spend some time researching it properly with an open mind.

Priceless!

Clearly you have an agenda and given of the focus suggested by your avatar's acuity.

Still time to take this to the area of BCUK appropriate to such debate but either way be assured I will respond fully in the morning as befits your assertions. In the meantime may I suggest your park your prejudices; put down the pamphlets that have informed your opinion and get into the woods with a view to OBSERVING the activities of the corvid in question.

Of course we could simply cull the constant in all such debate that is Man, as I'm sure you would agree, and allow song birds, jays and stoats to get on with it?

K

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Is anyone on here into fly tying and would like a pair of Jay wings?I've just knocked on off the bird feeder in the garden and was wondering if the feathers/wings would be of use to anyone.I have no idea which bits people use or what to do to them. If you want them let me know.I don't want anything for them.CheersGrebby
could i have the right hand one please , ??

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield

I guess you missed the bit 2 lines below what you quoted.

There have been takers for the feathers.

Mods can you please close the thread before it gets silly.

Cheers
Grebby

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE