Fly fishing season

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I know next to nothing about fishing, but I need to help organise a fly-fishing trip as a present to my father-in-law.

It'll be in Scotland, but when's the best time for fly-fishing?

If anyone happens to know any decent fly-fishing courses (he'll be a complete novice, so will need instruction and kit) in a nice area of Scotland (preferably west) then I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You could do worse than go to WH Smiths and pick up copies of Trout Fisherman, Trout and Salmon, and Fly Fishing & Fly Tying, and see who is advertising guide services/tuition. Some guides will be more tuned to dealing with a beginner.

Anything is possible if you can throw money at it ;)

Bear in mind that bank fishing in June through to September is likely to be midge infested. Trout fishing can be had a lot further south than Scotland if you are after river fishing. The lakes and reservoirs of England are a little less impressive than the Scottish lochs, but rivers like the Wharfe are very pretty.

I was going to suggest this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...47904/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_2_5/026-4074369-9922000
but it looks like it will be coming out a bit late for you.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
For trout fishing the far north west is very nice.

I've stayed here when working at Scourie:
http://www.rhiconichhotel.co.uk/

and they have a lot of fishing available and can fix you a ghillie for £40 a day. There are plenty of other options though.

Any tackle shop could kit you out although several advertisers in Trout and Salmon offer well priced complete outfits. For trout a 9 or 10ft AFTM 6-7 carbon rod, plus any fly spool (Leeda Rimfly for instance), backing, a floating line for summer, a spool of 6lb nylon or made up leaders, and traditional wet flies.

Trout fishing in Scotland is readily available and permits are often only £5 a day or so. The Trossachs and most of the Highlands have plenty of lochs. Even further north, at Durness, the limestone lochs have very big trout. You might be better to buy tackle and get instruction locally, and then you can fish for very little up here.

May is a good time for trout fishing but you can fish right through April to September no problem.

For salmon you often need a ghillie anyway. He could possibly teach you casting, but perhaps the best place to learn casting is not on a water that is costing you £50-£100 a day? Alternatively you could get tuition first.

Ally Gowans is a very well known (arguably the best) professional casting instructor. Based at Pitlochry.
http://www.letsflyfish.com/

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi,
Perhaps the tight Scotsman is showing in me here, but a good way of getting some preliminary fishing instruction, to avoid wasting time learning all the ropes on his trip, is to see if you can register on a tackle demonstration day.

For instance House of Hardy often have events where you can go and get a half-hour bash on their latest gear in the presence of their in house Pro for free. Look out for them at game fairs and the like...

Cheers,
Neil

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
There's an old saying which goes "When is the best time to go fishing? Whenever you can!"

I don't know about season times in Scotland, but around my neck of the woods it always seems best in May and June. Even if you catch nothing it's beautiful to be down by the water at that time of year anyway.

If your father-in-law is a total novice to fly fishing I would recommend getting an hour or twos flycasting tuition organised proir to booking a full days fishing somewhere. Casting the fly is a totally different thing to casting ordinary coarse or sea tackle and even a normally competant angler can get in a frustrating mess if not used to the method. Most commercial trout fisheries have a tutor who's services can be booked by the hour. This might seem extravagant, but even a good fly fisherman can often benefit from a little coaching, and a novice will be able to pick up points that will hopefully lead to a less frustrating days fishing. Don't let this put you off the idea though. Casting a fly line is just a toally different action to other forms of fishing and requires a degree of timimg and an understanding of the method. This is where a little coaching works wonders.

One thing that I cannot stress enough for anyone fly fishing is that they WEAR GLASSES!
If the chap doesn't normally wear specs, get some polaroid sunglasses and wear those, but in any case, glasses are a MUST. Flies have a habit of being pulled around on the slightest breeze and can end up anywhere (especially with a novice caster). Getting one stuck in the back of your neck or in your ear is bad enough (don't ask me how I know! :eek: ) but one in the eye would most certainly not be good.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered getting him some pre-tuition, but it's sounding like a good idea. I'm not sure that Trevor (my father-in-law) is overly bothered about the fishing itself - I think he just fancies a good excuse to stand in a Scotting river all day!

Thanks for the links Doc - some good idea to start with.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Longstrider said:
There's an old saying which goes "When is the best time to go fishing? Whenever you can!"

I don't know about season times in Scotland, but around my neck of the woods it always seems best in May and June. Even if you catch nothing it's beautiful to be down by the water at that time of year anyway.

If your father-in-law is a total novice to fly fishing I would recommend getting an hour or twos flycasting tuition organised proir to booking a full days fishing somewhere. Casting the fly is a totally different thing to casting ordinary coarse or sea tackle and even a normally competant angler can get in a frustrating mess if not used to the method. Most commercial trout fisheries have a tutor who's services can be booked by the hour. This might seem extravagant, but even a good fly fisherman can often benefit from a little coaching, and a novice will be able to pick up points that will hopefully lead to a less frustrating days fishing. Don't let this put you off the idea though. Casting a fly line is just a toally different action to other forms of fishing and requires a degree of timimg and an understanding of the method. This is where a little coaching works wonders.

One thing that I cannot stress enough for anyone fly fishing is that they WEAR GLASSES!
If the chap doesn't normally wear specs, get some polaroid sunglasses and wear those, but in any case, glasses are a MUST. Flies have a habit of being pulled around on the slightest breeze and can end up anywhere (especially with a novice caster). Getting one stuck in the back of your neck or in your ear is bad enough (don't ask me how I know! :eek: ) but one in the eye would most certainly not be good.

That's a couple of good points. For example (but please look around to see if other places have similar arrangements) Drummond Trout Farm in Comrie will offer simple tuition. When I was working there it was no additional cost on top of rod hire (about £3) and good enough to get you casting properly. One piece of training you'll get at an easy fishery, like Drummond, is landing a fish too - you're more than likely to hook something so the novice will get an idea of how to play, tire and finally bring the fish in without losing it.

In terms of glasses: a clued-up fisherman is always armed with a set with Polarising lenses. Not only do these protect the eyes but also allow a clearer view into the water as they cut out the glare off the surface, so you can see the fish better!

Beware that flies can be snagged anywhere, not just in the eyes. I once got one from an overly enthusiastic student right in the rump! :eek: :aargh4: :yuck: :bluThinki

Tuition before you go is the way!
Anglian Water used to run day long beginners courses at Rutland & Grafham covering everything you need to know (I booked my Dad onto one & he's never looked back).
If you want a wilder trout fishing experience try the far north west of Scotland. It's worth taking a look at the local websites, try google-ing for Assynt Angling or CASTAG (Caithness & Sutherland Angling Group). CASTAG has links to Leslie Crawford who is well known as a guide & instructor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE