Fly deterrents?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hi all,
As the weather (kinda) warms, flys..or is it flies? start to come out and be a figurative pain in the behind.
We find our little roof garden seems to attract these small fruit fly type things which we've discovered can be dispatched by leaving out a small glass of apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of fairy in... the little ones love it and proceed to drown themselves in it - probably mean I guess but hey ho....

The issue we have is with the bigger blooming ones! We have a vestibule which we leave open and you can see them when the sun shines dancing around with each other, as soon as you open the door in they come! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that we could use to prevent them from hanging around our vestibule? (other than shutting the door :lmao: )
I was wondering if a citronella diffuser would work? I know they're not keen on candles, but aside from the fact it might blow out, can't really have one flickering away all day. Or if anyone else has any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Screens.
I live under trees, we get huge moths, and I am not keen on moths, and we get every blasted kind of fly too.
If you have a campfire you can smoke stuff like mugwort and that keeps them off, or if you have electricity and don't mind wholesale murder of every insect....mind that includes bees though....then the zapper thing works, but for keeping them out of the house, I find only screens work.

Lots of different types available, I'm using a sort of string curtain over the back door when it's open and that seems to mostly work. Just the occasional intruder from that.

I'd love a kind of insect repelling forcefield :D Something that just kept them away without any fuss or bother.
I don't think we have the technology yet though :sigh:

Reactions: Broch

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Interesting. In the dozen or so years we’ve had an ultra-violet zapper we’ve never caught a bee. I empty the thing. I also catch bees and put them out of the kitchen door when they are banging against the window. We have caught the odd moth and that can set off the smoke alarm and stink for twenty minutes or so.

Hardly a scientific observation but we are catching only a fraction of the flies that we got a decade ago.

We have positioned it so that it doesn’t actively entice insects through the open door.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tansy......It's growing at the corner of my house......the flies love it when the sun shines on the flower heads.......I'll take a photo when it blooms, it's not there yet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting. In the dozen or so years we’ve had an ultra-violet zapper we’ve never caught a bee. I empty the thing. I also catch bees and put them out of the kitchen door when they are banging against the window. We have caught the odd moth and that can set off the smoke alarm and stink for twenty minutes or so.

Hardly a scientific observation but we are catching only a fraction of the flies that we got a decade ago.

We have positioned it so that it doesn’t actively entice insects through the open door.
I'd a friend who was so upset at the number of bees...they're 'big' and they make a big flash and you can smell them being zapped apparently....that she threw the thing in the bin.

Maybe it's how you have it positioned ? Her's was on the patio table.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Tansy......It's growing at the corner of my house......the flies love it when the sun shines on the flower heads.......I'll take a photo when it blooms, it's not there yet.

I wonder where the disparity comes from then? Genuine question.

1720110526572.png

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder where the disparity comes from then? Genuine question.

View attachment 88879

The plant has a really distinctive smell, and I'm pretty sure that might discourage some, but the flowers end up almost like magnets for others.
Broch's right about the hover flies, I counted eight different types one day, but the blue and black flies seem to like them too. Funny enough though, for all the bees I have in the garden, they don't swarm the Tansy, they adore the foxgloves though :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
We actually have a zapper in the kitchen, it mainly catches flies, although a moth has been known to head to the forbidden light before... Never caught a bee, but then to get to the kitchen they'd have to go through quite a maze and I think there is more interesting things for them outside.

The whole thing is kinda gross, if you get a big fly then it does smoke and stink, but I really do not like them, so idk, can't say I mourn them.

I just wish I could detract the flies from coming in the vestibule itself.

Ystranc

Settler
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
We open a window and eventually they leave. The window needs to be closed again before the light goes on or we get a disturbing number of moths, cockchafers and occasional hornets attracted by the light.

Reactions: Toddy

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Hi all,
As the weather (kinda) warms, flys..or is it flies? start to come out and be a figurative pain in the behind.
We find our little roof garden seems to attract these small fruit fly type things which we've discovered can be dispatched by leaving out a small glass of apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of fairy in... the little ones love it and proceed to drown themselves in it - probably mean I guess but hey ho....

The issue we have is with the bigger blooming ones! We have a vestibule which we leave open and you can see them when the sun shines dancing around with each other, as soon as you open the door in they come! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that we could use to prevent them from hanging around our vestibule? (other than shutting the door :lmao: )
I was wondering if a citronella diffuser would work? I know they're not keen on candles, but aside from the fact it might blow out, can't really have one flickering away all day. Or if anyone else has any suggestions?

Have you tried catching them with chopsticks?

• Haha
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I mean the above would be fantastic, but I suppose I was after a mild friendly deterrent like diffuser sticks on the windowsill as an alternative to a spray can of raid... :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE