Flints for firesteels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Motorbike Man said:
I'm going to have a go at making my own flint for use with one of Jason 01's firesteels. I was just wondering if there is an ideal shape I should be aiming for?

In the days of the musket the flint was squared to fit the lock but for fire lighting all you need it a sharp edge to strike against.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Motorbike Man said:
I'm going to have a go at making my own flint for use with one of Jason 01's firesteels. I was just wondering if there is an ideal shape I should be aiming for?

Hiya Jon

I have a special technique for making firesteel flints, Im not sure whether the Vikings did it this way ;).....

Flint knappers look away now!

Wrap a good sized lump of flint in a cloth (future charcloth) mind your eyes and give it a good whack with a big hammer, you should end up with quite a few bits :eek:): The sharper the edge the more it will spark and the quicker it'll break off. With trial and error you soon work out the best angle to hold the edge at and so on.

Jason

I pressure flake side notches in mine like an arrowhead, so as to permit the attachment of a leather loop. I can wear it as a pendant on a leather thong or attach it to my striker for safe keeping. Recovered NA grave goods often contained broken points that had been reshaped for use as a strike-a-light.

Jeff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice link :)
If anyone wants to try some of the flax I've got a stash; I teach kids to spin and they inevitably have a messy start. I keep the fankles and broken bits for fire starting so there's always some around. pm and sae for samples folks.
Failing that
http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/plant__fibres.htm
sell linen, hemp, bamboo, cotton, silk, etc., fibres all of which burn well. I wholeheartedly recommend them as suppliers.

Wayland said:
There is an article on my website that you may find useful.

Fire lighting with flint and steel.

I must admit I do not deliberately shape my flints, I usually have enough "offcuts" from knapping to not need to worry.
Thanks for that Wayland, that's a nice site you have there, wish I'd known about it when I was doing voluntary work in schools :rolleyes:

PM sent Toddy :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Toddy said:
Nice link :)
If anyone wants to try some of the flax I've got a stash; I teach kids to spin and they inevitably have a messy start. I keep the fankles and broken bits for fire starting so there's always some around. pm and sae for samples folks.
Failing that
http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/plant__fibres.htm
sell linen, hemp, bamboo, cotton, silk, etc., fibres all of which burn well. I wholeheartedly recommend them as suppliers.

Thanks for that, their price is very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE