Flint types / qualiy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Is there much difference in flint types and quality? I ask because I've removed quite a few large flints from our garden, one of the 'benefits' of living on solid chalk! Some are about 10kg and the size of a large loaf of bread.

If they would be suitable for flints for flint & steels etc or for various tools it would be a shame to just bury them or leave them laying about, but before I offer them to others I wonder if there are different types of flint and what they are best for?

Unfortunately being so heavy posting isn't an option but I could collect a few sacks and pass them on to others should the opportunity arise.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Flint is very common round here, near the North Downs, so I would expect people at local meets to have an endless supply. I was hoping to find out if they would be worth the effort of taking them further afield or cleaning them up a bit first (removing the white outer shell and just keeping the black inside).

Has anyone found out if all flint types have similar uses or if some are better than others?

primitive man

Jun 18, 2008
west midlands
yes some fint types are better than others you can find out if the flints good quality by tapping on it with a rock and if its good material it sound make a high ringing sound if not then it probally has inclusions and is not good. hope this helps. Alex

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Down flint is is great slowworm - easily big enough for a neolithic hand axe let a lone a few shards for flint and steel - heres a core I developed for such a purpose

2301188039_555ce72033_o.jpg

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the replies, I've only just noticed them. It certainly produced sparks if I hit a piece when digging in the garden! I must have a rummage in the shed for something suitable to make a steel striker from...

Here's a small piece I've trimmed ready to send to someone, looks quite similar to yours Red, just smaller.

flint1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE