flint striking fire starting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
i start all my fires with that method, i want to know , if i am the only one.

flint striker is a home forged file one, and tinder is charedcoton , or chared amadou...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I like to use flint and steel, i am the only person on Youtube showing flint and steel used to get an ember on an unprocessed Cramp Ball fungus

[video=youtube;-GOZ8wmHuSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOZ8wmHuSE[/video]

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I used to use a flint and steel for starting the living room fire, sadly our new house has this abomination of a gas fire. But I still use F&S for making a fire outside whenever I can.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I bought 6 from Millius as Christmas extras, got a extra one as a bonus, Thanks Millius. I know,i said it was for a school/pupil thing when you asked..i lied. I couldn't be buttocked explaining at the time...I wasn't really lying, the pupils are my family. ;)

Now every male member of my immediate family have the ability to make fire old school stylee. including the wee guy next door who i gave the extra one to.

Merry Christmas and hopefully a hot yule log to my immediate family.

Demonstrated to my youngest tonight... he has it in the bag. :D

Thanks again Millius.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The last six months I have started all my fires (except cigarettes) with firesteel and scraper/flint and steel. The latest is burning in our living room as I write, a nice contrast to the rain and wind outside.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
If it's the house fire :- flint, steel and charcloth to light a Sulphur match
01_zps63smflvw.jpg~original

sharpen spill each end, melt sulphur (gently) in pyrex test tube dip both ends in and store dry
02_zpsbqz16mdz.jpg~original

touch point to glowing char cloth it lights with a pale blue flame instantly (charcloth glowing on fender) save other end for next fire
03_zpsq8bagesj.jpg~original

match is just in clip to photo. I snap off when fire lit
04_zpsp2sfnbhe.jpg~original

it out in the woods I make a tinder 'birds nest' to drop glowing char cloth in then cup in hands and blow it alight
05%20bird%20nest_zpshipxadwf.jpg~original

06_zpszribm8so.jpg~original

07_zpsqq1gyuye.jpg~original

08_zpsqcbphuhl.jpg~original

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE