Flint knife sheath?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've been looking through my Flint knife collection and I wanted to make some sheath's / Pouches for afew, Any advise / Tip's.
I've made accouple of Birch Bark 1's and I'm thinking of buying a Rabbit Skin to make 1, But I think a Leather sheath would be more suitable as John Lord made this 1 for me to my spec's.
Cheer's

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Ötzi used clothing of different animal's hides, but also cattle leather.
His containers where made out of birch bark.

I think they didn't find a knife sheath, isn't it?

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Here's afew of my Homemade Flint and Bone Tools 1 Axe 1 Scaper / Chisel and a Bone Knife with Bone Awl / Spike tool.
.My Homemade Tools.jpg
3 Bone Knives set in Hazel handles glued with pine resin. And the Beaker Dagger / Blade was made by John Lord and I cheated and Glued a piece of pine to it and wrapped it with para-cord.
Bone & Flint Beaker Dagger.jpg

Cheer's

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If you google "tuohituppi" and pics you get a lot of variants on birch bark sheath, for reason the English search does bring all those.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Is there any ethnographic records of what people used?

We know how axes were hafted as we have remains

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If you google "tuohituppi" and pics you get a lot of variants on birch bark sheath, for reason the English search does bring all those.
WOW! Those things are seriously cool. How are you pronouncing that word and does it have an English translation?

I’ve seen a few woven basket type sheaths out of nettle fibre and spruce roots at the Pitt Rivers museum. I think that’s pretty similar to what Otzi used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE