Flint knapping (Wales)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alessio

Mar 3, 2010
Swansea, Wales
Okay, okay, okay, I know what you're thinking:

'Why doesnt this noob just use the search button!?'

I wanted to ask some pretty specific questions, so I thought I'd come straight out and ask. I did some Googling but I didnt manage to find anything exactly concrete to help me find what I was looking for... Its called flint, and it seems to be pretty scarce :dunno:

Okay, questions:

1. Where can I find a good source of flint?
I live in Wales (Swansea) and dont really have the ability to travel very far in search of it, but any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated =]. I am willing to purchase it, but it seems more personal if I can hunt for it myself =D

2. What basic tools will I need?
I've seen people use all manner of stones which I can get pretty easily, but I've occasionally seen people using pieces of tough wood and bone to shape and edge the flint tools they happen to be crafting.

3. What sort of protective gear will I need?
Does flint 'spit' small chunks off alot when you hit it? I'm not sure if I will need goggles, but gloves seem like a good idea. I've also seen people using a leather sheet to protect their leg, but could I use a wooden board or somesuch?

4. Any other tips to get started?
This is aimed at people who are far better at this than I am (ie, pretty much everyone here >_<). I know where to find tutorials for starting out, but if anyone has learned any lessons from experience then I'd be eager to hear them.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to a fledgling and I'm sorry for appearing as such a noob :lmao: =]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE