Flint knapping/splitting...?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I bought a traditional (as much as) flint and striker from the makers market on here and its a superb bit of kit for the money, one happ chappy! :)

One small issue i have though is i dont actually know how to break down the two rather large chunks of flint i was kindly provided.

I've never actually split flint before, just using a sharp edge of one of the rocks until now... But I'm all out of edges.

I dont want to ruin some perfectly good flint by clouting it with a hammer in the hope of some usable shards, or is that basically my only option?

Can anyone offer advice please?

Cheers, al.

T

Tim Rast

If you are stuck without any good angles you could try splitting the core using the bipolar technique. It doesn't give you a lot of control over the finished pieces, but its good for cracking into pieces that are otherwise exhausted. Here's a good, brief youtube clip that shows you how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ5pmxfbnQY

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
If you are talking about small pieces of flint, try to pressure flake the edges to give a sharper angle to strike against. Not sure what your striker looks like / design, but some of the stikers have a chipping claw(s) on the ends (like here http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=361), instead of just curled in. If your striker is not fully curled, then use the pointy end of the striker to pressure flake and dress the edge.

Hope I've not confused you.

Gordy

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks for the speedy reply guys!

I'll look into the link above now. With regards to the striker... its just the traditional 'C' shape that fits over four fingers and the scrolls are turned in, so its pretty much fully curled.

They are considerable pieces of flint!

2qvbl9h.jpg

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
There are many ways to skin a cat...My approach would be to pressure flake what you have. I would try to dress those by pressure flaking the edge with a good (hard) 16d nail, it will do in a pinch. Something similar in diameter to the nail, but in copper would be even better.

Gordy

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
everyone says to strike the flint with a glancing blow. Try to rest the striker on the flint edge and then quickly draw it down. It's the way I recommend with the strikers I make and a flint edge last ages and ages. Methinks I should do a video on this you know

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks Gordy, this is fairly new to me flint wise. By pressure flaking would you mean securing the flint on say, an old towel and then chipping with the nail?

I've seen it being done by hand in video's, but these where smaller bits and just done with human pressure in the hand on a section of thick leather. Appol's for my lack of technique in this department but i thought i would try something a little more challenging than the ferro rod, although its always staying very close by!

al.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
everyone says to strike the flint with a glancing blow. Try to rest the striker on the flint edge and then quickly draw it down. It's the way I recommend with the strikers I make and a flint edge last ages and ages. Methinks I should do a video on this you know

A video might not be such a bad idea kev :)

Problem is, I'm all out of edges, so splitting seems the only option now... I just tried your method, but pretty much all of the flint is now blunt.

al.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Also, buffing the edge of the flint, just a little bit, with sandpaper will give a little area for the steel to grab. You might try that before flaking.

Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
By pressure flaking would you mean securing the flint on say, an old towel and then chipping with the nail?

I've seen it being done by hand in video's, but these where smaller bits and just done with human pressure in the hand on a section of thick leather. Appol's for my lack of technique in this department but i thought i would try something a little more challenging than the ferro rod, although its always staying very close by!

al.

Yes, the idea to protect your leg & hand. As far as the flakes, we are looking for tiny chips. It will not take much pressure, at all, to dress up a side. If the buffing does not work, do a few tiny chips in a row, across the face, and see how that works for you.

Gordy

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Sounds good...
I might sit in the workshop tomorrow with some gloves and glasses and try a nail with small chips in a row as you say, or small ball pin hammer to see if i can work some shards off.

I guess i have a fair enough quantity to work out through trial and error how flint actually seperates.

At least it will be a learning curve and i should hopefully be left with a usable quantity!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Im still trying to find some near manchester =( been looking for months. I "think" i found some, but its a tiny bit. Where should I be looking?

Sorry for the thread hijack, looking at your chunks makes me jelous. *insert joke here*

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I guess i have a fair enough quantity to work out through trial and error how flint actually seperates.

At least it will be a learning curve and i should hopefully be left with a usable quantity!

That, to me, is the most important part of doing it...finding out how it works for you! Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Gordy

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Im still trying to find some near manchester =( been looking for months. I "think" i found some, but its a tiny bit. Where should I be looking?

Sorry for the thread hijack, looking at your chunks makes me jelous. *insert joke here*

LoL! If i succeed (thats a big if) i'll post you some up with the rods... ;)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
The worst that can happen is you break the bigger piece with the ball peen hammer. Then you will have one or more smaller pieces with great working edges. :D

Gordy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

We dont have any flint around these parts, gotta go a lot further north or south. I beleive there are bits in northwales but few and far between.
You need to find chalk and then you will sometimes find flint. Unless someone has a chunk in a posh garden wall or driveway.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I did have a picture of the UK somewhere, i will try to dig it out. I beleive south is better. You can find flint on many beaches which is find for firesteels but not much cop for knapping as its been knocked about too much. If i remember rightly draw a line from south wales upto the north of east anglia and its south from there. Maybe someone will be able to find the picture before me :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
LoL! If i succeed (thats a big if) i'll post you some up with the rods... ;)

Just lay a cloth over the biggest piece and whack it with a hammer. If you're left with dust you're doing it wrong! If that reaps no useable pieces let me know and I'll post you some nice bits or hand some over at North Woods...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE