Flint and Steel fire lighting kits (Dragon's Breath) for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Dragons' Breath" (as you all have started calling them) Kits
Basic Flint and Steel Fire Starter Kits

DragonsBreath.jpg

These are proving very popular! And going fast!
These sets may be the last with Birch Polypore - this years harvest was non existant around here - future sets may have an alternative tinder/ember extender, probably Birch Bark.

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
Hold the steel in a pinch grip with one of the long thin edges pointing out.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
The sparks should land on the char cloth and start glowing.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
I am confident with a little practice you will get the hang of the technique.
All kits are tested before despatch so I am confident in them working.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)
Colours sizes and shapes vary - this photo is of a typical set!

New stock just made!
Now only 19 sets available

5 "specials", with the steel set in a wooden handle, also now available at £12 inc p&p

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"The ideal Xmas prezzie for your favourite bushcrafter!
Dragons' Breath" (as you all have started calling them) Kits

DragonsBreath.jpg

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)

New stock just made!
Now only 18 sets available

5 "specials", with the steel set in a wooden handle, also now available at £12 inc p&p

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The ideal Xmas prezzie for your favourite bushcrafter!

DragonsBreath.jpg

New stock just made!
Now only 12 sets available

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The ideal Xmas prezzie for your favourite bushcrafter!

DragonsBreath.jpg

New stock just made!
Now only 10 sets available

1 "specials", with the steel set in a wooden handle, also now available at £12 inc p&p

borka26

May 22, 2008
Derby
rushed home from work because I had been told that there was a parcel for me - liked the note inside and yes, I did have fun! lovely little kit.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The ideal way to spend the cash you were given for Xmas!

DragonsBreath.jpg

New stock just made!

1 "specials", with the steel set in a wooden handle, also now available at £12 inc p&p

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The ideal way to spend the cash you were given for Xmas!

DragonsBreath.jpg

New stock just made!
Now only 9 sets available

0 "specials", with the steel set in a wooden handle, also now available at £12 inc p&p
Sorry - all this batch are sold now - I will try and get some more made soon!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

New stock just made!

2 "specials", with the steel set in a wooden handle, also now available at £12 inc p&p
I will try and get some more made soon!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

New stock just made!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE