Flint and Steel fire lighting kits (Dragon's Breath) for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Dragons' Breath" (as you all have started calling them) Kits
Basic Flint and Steel Fire Starter Kits
DSCF5933.jpg

Typical set - sizes and shapes vary .

DragonsBreath.jpg

These are proving very popular! And going fast!
So I made some more....

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
Hold the steel in a pinch grip with one of the long thin edges pointing out.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
The sparks should land on the char cloth and start glowing.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
I am confident with a little practice you will get the hang of the technique.
All kits are tested before despatch so I am confident in them working.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)
Colours sizes and shapes vary - this photo is of a typical set!

New stock just made!
Now only 2 sets available
Only £10 inc P&P (UK only posting overseas makes the price too high)

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
FAO, John Fenna. May I ask if you have any of these kits left? I have been teachin my lad, now a D of E student all the various ways of lighting fire. All have been nearly mastered, except for the traditional flint and steel method. Be very gratefull if you have any spare kits.
Many thanks
Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
FAO, John Fenna. May I ask if you have any of these kits left? I have been teachin my lad, now a D of E student all the various ways of lighting fire. All have been nearly mastered, except for the traditional flint and steel method. Be very gratefull if you have any spare kits.
Many thanks
Simon
PM to you:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
DSCF5933.jpg

DragonsBreath.jpg

So I made some more....

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus (or Birchbark if my supply of Birchpolypore runs out!), all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)

New stock just made!
Now only 2 sets available

Hartung

Nov 27, 2005
Europe

Hi,

today, when I came to read this description I thought wow! Have to try it. It is the first time in many years of working with amadou as tinder that I read such a description of birch polypore. I did four trials using amadou instead of char cloth – amadou produces a very hot ember.

The first two trials I wrapped a smoldering amadou with 3mm thick slices of perfectly dry birch polypore than blowing gently into the ember.
Result: the birch polypore did nothing more than smolder but no flames and what more is, no polypore bursting into flames

Third trial
I wrapped a smoldering amadou with three very thin (0,5mm-1mm) thick slices of perfectly dry birch polypore than blowing gently into the ember.
Result: the birch polypore smoldered but no flames and no polypore bursting into flames

Fourth trial
I put birch polypore powder between two thin (0,5mm-1mm) slices of perfectly dry birch polypore than wrapping that around smoldering amadou and gently blowing into the ember.
Result: same as above: only ember and no flames.

How are you guys proceeding so that your birch polypore “burst into flames”?

Thanks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi Hartung
I am glad you have been interested enough in my sales thread to try some experiments.
As you cast some doubts on the truth of my sales pitch I tried it out again myself :)
It works fine!
I suggest that you try some char cloth and rather than 3mm chunks of Polypore use fone slices - as fine as you can make them (a sharp knife will get you nice thin slices) almost transparent is best!
aA fingertip sized piece of charcloth got me flames from slivers of polypore in a few breaths.
If further discussion of this is needed then could you start a new thread and leave my sales thread to .... sales!
Thank you
John

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi John, I bought three of your kits a few years back, and although I didn't use the polypore I got a fire going first attempt using a bit of straw and hay...

I also bought an artist set from town, but I am not Van Gogh... Having your kit didn't make me a fire lighter, just as the art kit didn't make me an artist, it's all down to ability I guess.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get ready for summer - you will need a fire to warm and dry you!
DSCF5933.jpg

DragonsBreath.jpg

So I made some more....

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus (or Birchbark if my supply of Birchpolypore runs out!), all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.

New stock just made!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get ready for summer - you will need a fire to warm and dry you!
DSCF5933.jpg

So I made some more....

New stock just made!
I will have a few sets of these for sale at the Moot:)

beretta686e

Jun 22, 2010
Lancs
Hi John. I will take a set if you still have one available. Please forward me details on how to arrange payment. Thanks. Regards Marouf.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get ready for winter - you will need a fire to warm and dry you!
DSCF5933.jpg

So I made some more....

New stock just made!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Xmas is coming! Get your Yule Log lit in style this year!
DSCF5933.jpg

So I made some more....

New stock just made!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get ready for Spring!
DSCF5933.jpg

So I made some more....

New stock just made!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Get ready for Summer and the Moot!
DSCF5933.jpg

So I made some more....

New stock just made!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE