Flint and Steel fire lighting kits (Dragon's Breath) for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of purchasing one of these kits, mine arrived this morning and ive got to say i was absolutely delighted with it, for the price john is doing these for, it is a real bargain, if you are swaying about it, well dont, just do yourself a favour and get one - top marks to the bloke for these.

As usual, im not married to john or his great uncle or father christmas just a happy punter....

All the best Col.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ideal Xmas prezzies for your favourite Bushcrafter!
"Dragons' Breath" (as you all have started calling them) Kits
Basic Flint and Steel Fire Starter Kits

DragonsBreath.jpg

These are proving very popular! And going fast!

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
Hold the steel in a pinch grip with one of the long thin edges pointing out.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
The sparks should land on the char cloth and start glowing.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
I am confident with a little practice you will get the hang of the technique.
All kits are tested before despatch so I am confident in them working.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)
Colours sizes and shapes vary - this photo is of a typical set!

2 sets available - I will try to get more made this week!

Last edited:

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Just had mine delivered recently. It's well worth buying and the bag is worth the price alone in my view. It takes a bit of practice but it's easy enough to get your flat filled with smoke without too much effort. (Trying the kit outdoors might be more sensible I guess).

In passing I found John very patient to deal with even when I was late it paying him and very courteous in the emails.

Even if he didn't take my advice for diet on the competition he ran on 'guess my weight', I still recommend his product, I still don't think a few more helpings would have hurt all that much *grumble*

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

Simple, functional and of a design based on archeological finds.Hold one of the pieces of supplied flint in your left hand with a sharp edge horizontal and facing away from you (like pointing a knife away from you with the blade on its side with the cutting edge facing right)
Hold a piece of the supplied char cloth on top, about 1mm from the sharp edge, using your thumb, with one or more fingers supporting the flint underneath.
With a "snapping" wrist actionstrike the steel onto the flint so that it scrapes its length down the flint to scrape off steel shards which are the sparks you want.
Put the flint and steel down, wrap the charcloth in a tube of the finest slice of birch polypore you can slice off the fungus supplied(or sandwich the charcloth between two or more slivers...)hold this carefully or use the jaws of your leatherman pliers/two twigs, and blow steadily. the polypore should soon burst into flames.
If you cannot get it to work I will happily refund your dosh or send you a replacement set.

Comprising a piece of steel, taken from selected High Carbon Steel files and ground smooth on the edges for safe and effective sparking, selected pieces of natural flint, pieces of Charcloth and slices of Birch Polypore Fungus, all contained in one of my size 1 pouches (colours vary) all for the new price of only £10 inc P&P.
(Contains no actual Dragon. Less than 1% fat. Made in an environment that definately contains nuts - me!)

Now only 8 sets available

Last edited:
I have been lurking and following the forum for a little while now. Must get round to posting an intro.

Time has come to invest in one of your fire starter kits. Let me know how you want payment made.

Many thanks
Peter
W3035

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been lurking and following the forum for a little while now. Must get round to posting an intro.

Time has come to invest in one of your fire starter kits. Let me know how you want payment made.

Many thanks
Peter
W3035

One of these or one of my forged models?
Drop me a PM :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

DragonsBreath.jpg

Now only 5 sets available

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE