Fleece blanket sleeping bag cover...or liner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I've got an old fleece blanket that I was thinking of making into a sleeping bag liner, then I wondered whether it would work better as a sleeping bag cover.
I know it would be smaller if a liner, and easier (marginally) to pack.
Anyone got any thoughts on whether it would be warmer as a liner or cover, or will it make no difference, whatsoever?

Thanks

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'd use it as a liner, too.
It is warmer and it will not get as dirty as on the outside. Leaves, little twigs and other stuff will get stuck in the fabric, not to mention water.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yep, liner, It's like layering your clothes.
Great idea, I like it when i hear of things being recycled.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Sorry, I should also have mentioned that it would be in a tent, rather than under a basha, so no real worries about twigs and dirt etc, though I take your point. But liner it will be.
Thanks for the input.

Phil

try to make sure it fastens at the feet and sides to the inside of the bag somehow. I've not given it thought and sussed it yet but I find it an absolute pain when it twists inside the bag. Only a problem I guess if you like to move around when zipped up. I resorted to a spare pair of long thermals to wear instead, probably smaller to pack as well and useful as a spare pair.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I made one of these a few years back to help with a old sleeping bag and got another few seasons out of it, but I did have problems with it wrapping around me and being irritating. I added some velcro to the bottom of my sleeping bag to attach the liner which helped somewhat. But eventually i gave up an bought a new bag.
I now like others have said wear a set of thermals in the coldest months, as already said they pack smaller and can also be worn during the day if need be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE