flat pack wood stove....

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
due to the recent frenzy of stove making i thought i would share this bad boy i made last weekend...

it burns well but needs a couple more air holes at the bottom as it was a bit slow, but that could have been the soaking wet wood....;)

the stove parts slot together then the wire mesh keeps it all tight, when in use it stands on an old fire blanket to stop the ground from scorching, this idea will be changed as the blanket is now burnt dust and no good, when its all packed up it goes into a denim case to keep all the soot of my kit...

the best bit about it is it fits in my jacket pocket when i go for a bimble, no more daysack....:):):):):)

enjoy...

More pics in the link because my internet is rubbish, they have taken 2 hours to upload...:(:(:(:(

http://img412.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=flatpackwoodstove001.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Nice little stove Chris. I always wondered whether a little wood burner like this (or Honey Stove / Nimblewell Nomad)would be good for the infantry guys out in Afghan? After all you can burn hexi in it but then use organic matter as well to make your fuel go further? Not in a tactical situation obviously but when lying up in a compound etc?

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
the best bit about it is it fits in my jacket pocket when i go for a bimble, no more daysack....:):):):):)

Aye they're a good bit of portable kit. Nice one mate, I new it wouldnt take you long when we were chatting over my "nimblewell" creation at Brockwell :) and thx for the sugestion of pan on sideways to improve draw, I'm looking at the scallop sizes as another option now as well.

Looks like yours doesn't burn "too" bad with just the crusader on but full mess tin will deffo need some more holes & the scalloped top of course.

Neat idea of the round holes for the tounges then using a stretcher plate to ensure location, they were the worst bit to cut & file out & they're what I'm determined to design out on my nimblewell 2 derivative. I wasn't thinkig down the same route as you but my idea may not work??? Either way will reduce build time massively.

I've got the materials together ready but no workshop space with all the vehicles in ATM.

Re Ground protection, I've used a bit of 1mm ally plate on three small pebbles below mine but of course I've got the 1mm base below my fire grid catching the ashes and reflecting the heat back up anyway.

Did you go with Ally, steel, SS, weapons grade titanium ;)
How thick?
Does it all still fit in a mess tin OK?
Are you using your base stretcher with the arch up, or arch down ie n or u , that will help/affect airflow a bit?

Cheers Vandeen

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well its all down to you Mr Vandeen, that and the fact when i went to the river with the dog for a bimble i stopped at the wear for a brew and some bread on my stove (the round hobo with the thick steel plate to cook bread on) when all done i thought i would be uba safe and put the ashes into the river, i used 2 sticks to keep hold of the stove, and just as i tipped to out i thought "i must be carefull i dont drop this into the river as that would really annoy me" as it slipped out from the 2 sticks and prceded to bob down the wear and then vanish into the depths of the river.....:(:(:(:( 2 odd years i have had that stove, rest in peace in your icey grave......wimper wimper sob sob....:(

aaaaaaanyway, its stainless steel, about 2 mm thick ish some "spare" sheet i "found" at work, the wire rack was used in the U shape where as before it was used in the n shape, i plan to make some more holes in the sides for better draw and some more holes in the back plate and cut some notches into the top edges, im also going to make a thick steel plate to make bread on as thats my fave pass time when i go for a long walk....

the stove is about 12 cm long and 8 cm wide i think, no idea if it fits into mess tins as i dont tend to use them anyway.....

thanks for the idea Mr Vandeen....:):):):)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just wondering, what is the second smaller bit of wire mesh for? I cant see it in the pictures of the stove when you're using it.

the big piece is in the bottom, basicly it pushes the bottom out to keep the lugs tight in the holes, when that happens the top pushes inwards, thats what the small mesh is for, its pushed into the back where the plate is to keep the rim of the stove pushed appart, and steady, this keeps the lugs in place....

it sounds a bit of a faf but its so easy to do really and its flat fits in my pocket, lobs a fish...;)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
2 odd years i have had that stove, rest in peace in your icey grave......wimper wimper sob sob....:(
:( I share your pain after my compass death.

aaaaaaanyway, its stainless steel, about 2 mm thick ish some "spare" sheet i "found" at work, the wire rack was used in the U shape where as before it was used in the n shape, i plan to make some more holes in the sides for better draw and some more holes in the back plate and cut some notches into the top edges, im also going to make a thick steel plate to make bread on as thats my fave pass time when i go for a long walk....:(

As for the thicknes and weight of the 2mm stainless, I've only had slight warpage of the two longer sides of mine even with up to 45 mins burning time in 1.5mm Ally, and the 1mm ally base plate hasn't moved at all because of the raised fire grid. I was wary of putting to many holes on the back ie opposide the door as I felt it may give too much through draught for the draw and maybe just force the flames out the front.

So I'm fancying .9mm stainless max. once I finaly settle on a design, used exstensively for kitchen splashbacks and extractor hoods if you know anyone who works in the kitchen industry you could probably get it for now't ;)
I've put the word out amongst my builder friends but typically work is slack for them at the moment, I'm in no hurry though due to a full garage still at the mo. and will probably stay that way till maybe xmas.

thanks for the idea Mr Vandeen....:):):):)

I Can't take credit for the design of mine as it was basically a nimblewell but I'm really pleased seeing it gave you the inspration to build another one :) , despite the sad demise of your original.
It's nice to give you a little back for all the efforts you put in that weekend :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE