Flat bow

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Ok I need to ask a few questions, at the minute I have a decent looking stave for a flatbow and ive just left it to dry, its in my wardrobe. So First question is how long do I need to leave it to dry? before I can start proper work on it. I've also had an idea, would it be advisable to reinforce the stave and make it a bit more powerful by glueing a slat from a wooden Venetian blind to the stave?

Thank you

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lets have a picture and details of the stave, species etc. Length wise your best off 2xdrawlength plus say 10 inch to begin with.
If the intended back of the bow is good you wont need a backing.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Drying time will depend on thickness of the stave and the room humidity of the area it is stored in. I found the best way to dry a stave was to buy a humidity/temperature meter. These can be quite cheap especially the analogue versions.
Work the stave to the stage where you will just begin to tiller but leave the width full width the whole length of the stave. Then put your stave into a place that is pretty stable temperature wise, not a shed or garage but a room in your home. Then use this guide... http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6255/Equilibrium-Moisture-Content-of-Wood-at-Relative-Humid ... and you should be good to go after a couple of weeks.

Aim for about 9% wood moisture content. A percent above and below won't hurt but not much lower as the wood can get too dry and snap. You are OK going higher but what will happen is you will get more 'string follow' the wetter the wood is above 10%.

The good thing about using that chart, if you know the temperature and room humidity is more or less constant, after a few weeks drying in this place the wood will settle to the moisture level stated and only gain or loose water again if the temp and humidity change a lot.

No need to back as Dwardo said, I would go for a 'mere heath' design for a first bow 68" long and with limbs 2" wide most of the length tapering about 12" from the ends to 1/2" tips. Depending on the wood you will get a safe weight of 50 or 60 lbs, more with excellent tillering.

Have fun,

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE