Flasks flasks FLASKS!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Well I've been looking into thermal flasks on the smaller side for a while and come up with a shortlist, but at this point they all seem pretty equal for their respective sizes. The parameters I'm basing my choice on are height and insulation

First of all I wanted to ask, does anyone -

a) have experience with any of the ones I've listed.. good / bad / otherwise.
or
b) have any other recommendations?

Last edited:

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
I have the Lifeventure 300mm in black, its a good flask well sealed and if you pre heat it correctly drinks will stay hot for ages, its compact enough to fit in to your pocket or rucksack side pouch.Also it has stood up to the abuse I have given it very well without any problems in the last 3 years.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Thanks for the feedback guys.

None of the <500ml are brilliant but the best from my experience (I have too many flasks) is the Thermos Thermax range followed by Stanley.

They do a smaller one but at @500 ml this is practical and keeps food or drink hotter for longer http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003GIS4...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B003GIS4QU

I hate to use the word, but the bigger flasks are 'awesome'.

Every time I see your avatar I think it's a lego man with a wide brimmed hat on.. :cool:

Great advice, I had heard good things about the Thermax range, but the only flask I could find fitting my height limits was the one I listed and it's height is just at the top of what I'd like, that's why I didn't go with it straight away. After making the thread I did find the heights of the Stanley ones on HH and it turns out they are too tall. Width is also kind of an issue, that's why I'm aiming at flasks rather than food tubs which tend to be wider.

I think from what you've said I'll rule out the smaller ones in this case as I want "maximum hotness" over a day, so it's between the 500ml Thermos and the 500 & 750ml Esbit I think.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I use the web-tex ammo flask!.
Have used many throughout the years!. Thermos best, but bulky.
Web-tex works great if you half fill it with boiling water, put lid on nand leave 5 mins, Empty, fill it with coffee or tea, and hey presto!.
Never leaked on me yet, and is still hot 6 hours later.
DSCF0542.jpgDSCF0543.jpgDSCF0544.jpg
Hope this helps

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I rate the thermos flasks highly.

That and the ones made by stanley are all good too!

Liam

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Every time I see your avatar I think it's a lego man with a wide brimmed hat on.. :cool:

Great advice, I had heard good things about the Thermax range, but the only flask I could find fitting my height limits was the one I listed and it's height is just at the top of what I'd like, that's why I didn't go with it straight away. After making the thread I did find the heights of the Stanley ones on HH and it turns out they are too tall. Width is also kind of an issue, that's why I'm aiming at flasks rather than food tubs which tend to be wider.

I think from what you've said I'll rule out the smaller ones in this case as I want "maximum hotness" over a day, so it's between the 500ml Thermos and the 500 & 750ml Esbit I think.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
p4945_big.jpg

or one of these for something different.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
I have the BCB one and its been great, never leaked, and keep things hot for ages.. Sometimes even too long!

Interested to here why they are so bad? I have given mine abuse and its still great.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you need to cover a stainless steel flask to subdue its colour,
a length of recycled inner tube does a fantastic job - I've covered a few flasks and stainless water bottles - cuts down on shine, improves hand grip and becomes an emergency tinder when the chips are down.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Thanks for all the posts chaps, ended up just getting the biggest I could within the limits as I want to have plenty of hot drink for the missus when we go walking together.

Ended up with the 750ml Esbit flask. Beware buyers, it is not 225mm tall, it is more like 230mm. Small difference, but it makes all the difference to me how I'm carrying it though. I know, 5mm pedantic-ness. Sigh. :p

Going to the Cotswolds on Wednesday so I will report back for those who are interested, after I have given it a good testing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE