Flask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Hello

Is it worth buying a 'Stanley' type wide mouth flask(the one without a mug as its not needed) they're just under £20 on fleabay. Only going to do 3 day outings so far. This one is .41ltr or are there better options? Will be using either small alco or gas stoves or both maybe. Opinions and knowledge greatly welcomed please.:camping:

thanks,

Tom.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
It depends what you would like to use it for. If its to carry clean water to your site then any bottle would do. If you wish to boil a lot of water up in one go and then store it hot for a few hours then it would be fine. But 4itr would be a lot of water to boil at once.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hello

Is it worth buying a 'Stanley' type wide mouth flask(the one without a mug as its not needed) they're just under £20 on fleabay. Only going to do 3 day outings so far. This one is .41ltr or are there better options? Will be using either small alco or gas stoves or both maybe. Opinions and knowledge greatly welcomed please.:camping:

thanks,

Tom.

Personally I wouldn't, but I'm a cheapskate with a penchant for Army surplus gear. I use a US Army aluminium canteen, with cover, clips onto a belt, holds a quart (US) (just under a litre), comes with a .5 litre ally cup with folding handles. You can get them for less than half the price of a Stanley on FleaBay.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Sorry just re read your post and you say .41ltr not 4ltr lol !
Are you thinking of taking it with you when you go for a walk or for keeping your drink hot when working or something like that.
£20 is not a bad buy. You can get cheaper ones that may not last as long as the Stanley one

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Yes have a stove or 2 to actually heat the vasser on no problem-would like to combine the water for breakfast(e.g. granola/water/milk powder) with water for lunch(e.g. noodles/dried sauce/dried meat) and put some of it in the flask with a dried meal(which should sit, hot ok til lunch) and not have to faff for lunch, just tuck in! One water heating faff, 2 meals, as it were.

Tom.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Make sure you keep the proof of purchase. The good thing about Stanley is that they will replace a faulty flask under their lifetime warranty. The bad news is that unless things have improved recently, you'll need it. The good news is that it's nice having a brand new flask every year. Which is my experience with them

I'm now on my 4th (or is it 5th?) - my partner's on her 3rd (or is it 4th?) - ours are the Thermos King models, but that's just the normal flask version of the widemouth ones. I hope you have better luck.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Hi mate
This one is a "Thermos" make, as usual made in china but sold by amazon themselves. It has a 50 year guarantee- I wont say how old I will be when that runs out!!! My surname is Stanley but sadly no connection with the company but might get me a tad of leverage if I have a problem perhaps? Looking at the flask it doesn't seem as though anything can go wrong with it-looks very well made and sturdy- what went on yours?

cheers

Tom.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Hi mate
This one is a "Thermos" make, as usual made in china but sold by amazon themselves. It has a 50 year guarantee- I wont say how old I will be when that runs out!!! My surname is Stanley but sadly no connection with the company but might get me a tad of leverage if I have a problem perhaps? Looking at the flask it doesn't seem as though anything can go wrong with it-looks very well made and sturdy- what went on yours?

cheers

Tom.

Oops - my bad! Yes, it's a Thermos I meant. We've got two - they last about a year and then just stop doing their thing. No obvious reason. No damage. Nothing. Just stop keeping water hot. Hence my suggestion (and apologies for being such a "neg") that you keep the receipt. This said, and this may be part of my reason for mentioning "Stanley", I had several of theirs prior to the Thermos. Equally bad, and just died for no obvious reason. Again, replaced without question of course. One trip I was on, three of us had Stanley flasks - all three failed on the second day.

However, another pal has a Stanley and reported similar failures until the one he got two years ago. So far it's fine, and he uses it a lot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oops - my bad! Yes, it's a Thermos I meant. We've got two - they last about a year and then just stop doing their thing. No obvious reason. No damage. Nothing. Just stop keeping water hot. Hence my suggestion (and apologies for being such a "neg") that you keep the receipt. This said, and this may be part of my reason for mentioning "Stanley", I had several of theirs prior to the Thermos. Equally bad, and just died for no obvious reason. Again, replaced without question of course. One trip I was on, three of us had Stanley flasks - all three failed on the second day.

However, another pal has a Stanley and reported similar failures until the one he got two years ago. So far it's fine, and he uses it a lot.

Interesting. I have a Thermos that's well over 30 years old and still working great. I did have a problem with the lid developing a leak about 20+ years ago but as you said, the lifetime warranty was quickly honored. Just a quick phone call to their toll free number and a new lid was posted that day with no receipt asked for.

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi. I'd heard that the 'Thermos' brand was sold on a few years back and the new stuff isn't a patch (think karrimor). I bought a flask (about 0.7ltr) to replace my old first Gen thermos steel flask a few years ago, managed to google a review site listing hours flasks kept things cold/hot. I like to heat up some water last thing at night ready for a brew first thing whilst still in the maggot..

Couple of flask tips:

1. Cover your flask with additional insulation: I use Aussie beer coolers

2. Never NEVER put anything in it except water. Cold or hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE