Fjellduken

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Thanks to torjusg pointing the Jerven link to the updated website, I ended up buying a new thermo extreme, which arrived today !! :thanks: :D

First thought was " thats bloomin big" - there is some serious insulation there folks !!! :cool:

After unwrapping it, you see that it is in their "cushion" bag, which seems to make a great insulated seat. It's quite a cunning way of parcelling it as well, because it has three fastex buckles to roll it up with.

Taking it out of the "cushion" bag, you are struck by the build quality. It is robust :cool: .Three zips on three sides, and eyelets to facilitate hanging as a basha, and two smaller zips as arm holes for when using it for stag. :cool:

As the blurb on the site says, the intention seems to have been to make something that would replace a sleeping bag, in winter, so i'm wondering if this would be a serious contender for that role over here ? (as we're warmer here)
And the thought occurs, that this might be good for use in a hammock as well.

Either way, this is some piece of kit...

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
hey,

Can you give me any idea on the dimensions when it is rolled up? Doe sit take up a lot of room in the backpack?

Also, is the fabric fragile? I mean, do you have the impression it would rip fast when scraped on rocks or when used as a ground sheet? Is the liner detachable?

Have you slept in it one yet? :)

Thanks,

Bjorn

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Bjorn Victor said:
hey,

Can you give me any idea on the dimensions when it is rolled up? Doe sit take up a lot of room in the backpack?

Also, is the fabric fragile? I mean, do you have the impression it would rip fast when scraped on rocks or when used as a ground sheet? Is the liner detachable?

Have you slept in it one yet? :)

Thanks,

Bjorn

I think you will be pleased with the quality, innocent bystander. :)

Since I have used this bag for a few years I can answer some of these questions.

It can be compacted quite a lot, but I never do that and still finds the size quite tolerable.

The fabric is very tough. I managed to rip it a little once, but can't remember why, but it it was on some metal I think. It was easily fixed by duct-taping it, and the patch has stayed on ever since. The liner is unfortunately not detachable.

When it is windy with sleet or snow it is absolutely unbeatable. Like a small shelter in it's own. :D And it also makes for a reasonable sleepingbag, but you should have an extra carpet or something rolled around you because of the draft from the zips. I have slept in one in -20 degrees below, with my clothes on (without an extra carpet though), but it was not a pleasant experience. But it was partly to blame on too few spruce boughs between me and the snow.

Torjus Gaaren

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I have a mental image of being able to wrap it around a hammock - kinda all enclosing, apart from somewhere let the breath out at the top. Must try that, alas it may be too warm now.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Would a hunter thermo be suitable as a 3 season sleeping bag? Can you give some sort of temp rating on the normal thermo and the thermo extreme?

Many thanks,

Bjorn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE