Fjallraven Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
I intend to buy some Fjallraven trousers from Tamarack but I'm not sure which are the best for general 3 season hiking and bushcraft activities.
Which models are used and how do they stand up in terms of durability and build quality?
Regards
Tack

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hey there,

I have the greenland trousers. They have lots of usefull pockets and an adjustable elastic band around the ankles, so they fit tighter around boots. The knees are a double layer of fabric. The fabric itself (G-1000) is a mix of cotton and polyester. Very durable, UV resistant, mosquito resistant, windproof, very fast to dry and almost thorn proof. It can be treated with a block of bees wax and a hair dryer to improve the ability to resist water. It is still not waterproof, but very water resistant and even faster to dry.
I love them!!!
I use them for all outdoor activities, and sometimes even for work.

Check out the website: http://www.fjallraven.se/en/products.htm
and click on G-1000 on the left side of the screen for more info on the fabric.
Scan through the clothes to find the trousers. There is also the Vidda trousers. they have double knees and double "sit part". Many more clothes to see, but I only know these two. Hope this helps.

Bjorn

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have a pair of forrester trousers which I find excellent. Not as many pockets as the greenland and without the elasticated ankles. They have reinforced knees that will take foam pads for crawling/shooting. The legs are quite baggy. They are pretty pricey though. I would check out the Craghopper Kiwi trousers first, a great pair of trousers and, if my memory serves me well, about £35.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I can vouch for the Kiwi's too. excellent trouser at a reasonable £35... lighter weight than the Fjalls tho'. but maybe better for general walking dobbing around rather than extreme bramble bashing

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Like Bjorn I have the Greenland trousers and they are great. I tend to let thewax wash out for the summer for better breathability and re-apply for the autumn. Very tough material and well put together.

I am glad for the elasticated bottoms which keep the snow and wind out in winter and the the ticks out in the summer :eek:

Personally I use the left hand axe pocket feature for my knife in the sheath which keeps it nicely hidden away for carry and a small backup Fallkniven U2 pocket knife in the leg pocket (it's not that handy a position) I would not miss the lower leg pockets where things tend to bounce around onto your leg and can be annoying I find. The internal, zipped wallet pouch is very useful and safe. Double material over **** and knees.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Viking said:
I would check out the pants the new pants and jacket designed by Lars Fält and made by Fjällräven, they look like the perfect jacket and trousers for bushcraft/survival.
Sounds nice! what are they called mate? or a direct link ;) Thanks.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Moonraker said:
Sounds nice! what are they called mate? or a direct link ;) Thanks.

They are called Fjällräven Fält, there is nothing on the website. I have only seen it in a catalogie and I was very impressed with it. It´s G1000 witha hydratic liner so it will take the sparks but still be waterproof and whith lots of good features.

Eelco

Nov 7, 2005
The Netherlands
From all the trousers of fjallraven i'd say the "vidda trousers" are the very best. The fabric won't wither away. With extra strength on the knees and behind. I know people that use this model as a working-trouser because it's stronger! Working as in hauling stones and stuff ofcourse.

kind regards,

Eelco

Iteki

Mar 5, 2006
Irish in Sweden
Viking, as a n00b with no need for high-end (read expensive) equipment, I have been thinking of grabbing myself a pair of workmans trousies, like Blåkläder or Fristads, you know the kind? Kneepad room, good seams, plenty of pockets etc. Is that a really dumb idea?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Iteki said:
Viking, as a n00b with no need for high-end (read expensive) equipment, I have been thinking of grabbing myself a pair of workmans trousies, like Blåkläder or Fristads, you know the kind? Kneepad room, good seams, plenty of pockets etc. Is that a really dumb idea?

Blåkläder and similar can be pretty expensive and made for people that work in construction and similar.

If you want a cheaper pair of trousers have a look at Fjällbyxan that is made in G1000 but at a much lower price. Here is the company that makes and sell them http://www.idefixteko.se/

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It's interesting how if one cannot afford a certain piece of kit, he or she can almost always find the same piece of kit, marketed under a different name and for a much lower price.

Capitalism at it's best!

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
Its always the way, once someone comes up with a good design people start to produce different versions at a range of prices.

builders trousers tend to be very hard wearing but they can be really heavy once they get wet.

The FR vidda trouser seem to be lasting really well, they wash brilliantly and all the pockety/poppery bit are holding together despite much abuse.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
The Greenland trousers are truly an amazing bit of kit....although quite expensive. I`ve got several pairs myself, and they tend to last up to 10 years in active use, however...the mileage is up when you squat down and you hear (more often than not... :lmao: ) a sharp crack....

Thus, leaving your rear end exposed....the seams are the ones to split. Needle and thread (either manual or machine version..) usually suffice :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE