Fjallraven smock no.1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I stopped even looking at Fjallraven stuff a long time ago because their prices became ridiculous. On the other hand it prompted me to make a luhkka style garment for myself, I'll get around to taking a photograph and post it up.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
With enought pockets to ensure you can never find anything when you need it :rolleyes:

That is a serious wedge to spend on a coat though. I'm sure you could get a copy made up for less. Or something very similar for a lot less cash. Even the branded ventile stuff seems cheap in comparison

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
I stopped even looking at Fjallraven stuff a long time ago because their prices became ridiculous. On the other hand it prompted me to make a luhkka style garment for myself, I'll get around to taking a photograph and post it up.

Agreed. That's absurd isn't it?

Look forward to seeing your pics.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a gear reviewer for a magazine I fancied reviewing one of their fancy expensive leather and G 1000 rucksacks. The PR lady would not let me have one to try out saying it would not be up to serious use in the woods but was just a "lifestyle" bag, made to look outdoorsy. She offered me a couple of other bags to review (including the Vintage (which I had already reviewed) so it was not that she was putting me off completely ... just from the new expensive stuff...
I used to rate Fjallraven - but will not bother now!

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I think it's just fjallraven reinventing the wheel, which kinda is their business model. Look at the m65 styled jackets they started out with.
This smock is so similar to a british smock it's laughable. When the guy said "we chose large buttons because..." it almost cracked me up.
Didn't snugpak do a ventile smock?

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I've been using a lot of Fjallraven over the last year and have been quite impressed with the Keb line of products. I do however only buy it in the sale.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I do like the look of thier trousers, not sure what the prices are like though. (i'm a proper miser when it comes to trews lol)
i'v often lingered over an ad for the luhkka type cape they do but its too dear for what it is imo

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Trawling the net looking for a jacket, I saw this new Fjallraven smock. This looks fantastic and I thought it was a perfect design. Then I saw the price.

£550?!!!!

How much would it cost to have a copy made? In Ventile perhaps?

http://youtu.be/Fn9kZupSBaI

I've had a Bergans Morgedal (spelling?) smock for a while. I paid £50 on eBay for the same one that comes from Woodlore at £150, but they were out of production for some time, I believe.

Last week I wore it in Glen Affric in weather that the MWIS forecast described as "appalling" and they weren't kidding :p. The smock kept out steady Scottish showers adequately and, much to my surprise, worked very well under my goretex when I had to get covered up in a hurry during an "appalling" squall. (I was worried that cotton under goretex was going to be a disaster, but I was wrong in this case and in the circumstances I experienced, but I'm NOT suggesting that the combo will always work so well).

I don't know what the specs are for the Fjallraven smock as the vid won't play on my ipad, but if they're similar to the Bergans smock, I'd look for one as an alternative to the Fjallraven - hopefully in a sale, of course.

All the best.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have one of the Sarek jackets and love it to bit. It's ideal for spring summer and early autumn use,
payed a visit to nordic this weekend to pick up a new axe and they had the no1 smock in there, nice, but i wasn't keen on the a*se pockets (how do you sit down?) and the prices a lot more than i payed for the Sarek.
i'm still a big FR fan, i literally live in their gear, even have one of the polar sleeping bags (toasty) but, like a lot of companies, they do a lot of fashion and style gear and it can be difficult to tell the proper gear apart.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
When my 12-year old Daughter told me their rucksacks were cool I knew all was lost. Trendy shops in Soho selling their clothing was the nail in coffin.

I confess to still liking their kit but as with some of the Timberland stuff, the correct pricing is when there's a 50% off sale.

K

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I used to love Fjallraven's Forester trousers. I had two pairs which I wore to destruction but, sadly, they are no longer made. I have toyed with the idea of other models of trousers from their range but they all seem to have so many pockets, I'm sure I'd lose track of what I've put where. I currently have a pair of their 'Numbers' trousers which are superb but the No.1 Smock is a bit much. It seems to be massively overpriced for an over-engineered combat jacket.

As for the pockets on the bum, they're actually not too bad as long as you don't overfill them/keep soft or flexible bits and bobs in them.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The stuffs for glamping and glampcraft, I'd stick to an army surplus smock its designed to be lived out of...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE