Fjallraven G1000 trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Fjallraven G1000 trousers and I was wondering your experience with them, in respect of care and manteinance. On Fjallraven website they suggest to wash G1000 at 40°C in washing machine but they also mention that it will wash away the wax. Since I use the trousers everyday I would not like to wax them again so often. I found them quite easy to clean with a soaked sponge, especially those "muddy paws print" from your dog, but I still have to wash them. Any suggestions to clean them and retain the wax ? maybe handwash in cold water?

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Fjallraven G1000 trousers and I was wondering your experience with them, in respect of care and manteinance. On Fjallraven website they suggest to wash G1000 at 40°C in washing machine but they also mention that it will wash away the wax. Since I use the trousers everyday I would not like to wax them again so often. I found them quite easy to clean with a soaked sponge, especially those "muddy paws print" from your dog, but I still have to wash them. Any suggestions to clean them and retain the wax ? maybe handwash in cold water?

I have a variety of G1000 items. A jacket, 2 pairs of trousers, a shirt and a pair of gloves. The wax remains in them for about 3-5 washes, but some of it is washed away of course. The factory wax is good, but there isn't a lot of it, so it will wash away faster. Make sure you use a hairdryer on the trousers after you wash them, it brings the wax back to the surface and melts it evenly.

It is tedious to wax them evenly yourself so I'd do my best to keep the factory wax on as long as possible.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have found after a wash or two they become just ordinary absorbent poly-cotton trousers. Hard to reproof, as, being trousers, they probably want a regular wash anyway. They are fine as normal (absorbent) trousers; even when brand new I found the water-repellent effect fof the wax to be minimal, because the G1000 is quite an open weave.

I hope yours prove harder wearing than my pairs did - very quickly got rips in the pockets, broke zippers etc. I have heard quality has been on the mend recently.

Chasseur

May 16, 2010
Ireland
Hi,
I have several pairs of these amazing trousers. I bought my first two pairs together in mid 2007 and wore these almost everyday to work, alternating them in the wash. The waterproofing is a gimmick. I find the freshly waxed trousers quite hot and sweaty and uncomfortable (Betty Swollocks). Dont bother waxing them, keep the wax for windproofing G1000 jackets. Carry a pair of goretex overtrousers for when conditions demand, use the tedious hours of waxing saved to learn a new skill (piano playing, brain surgery etc.). Un-waxed trousers will soften with every wash and become soft as silk and unspeakably comfortable, while retaining their core toughness. The nylon zippers are not very durable and your local friendly seamstress will gladly change these for quality YKK brass zippers for about €10.00. I own about six pairs of these trousers by now. They are a great investment, wear them well and have fun trying to wear them out!

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
Thanks for the feedbacks! So far I only waxed a couple of Barbour accessories (hats) and a Filson vest. It was pretty easy but it didn't require particular care since they were all "field" items whilst instead I also wear my fjallraven trousers on a everyday basis.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE