Fjallraven G1000 fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

mark l

Has anyone experience of Fjallraven GR1000 fabric how breatable and water resistant it is im thinking of winter walking trousers

and anybody know a suitable web retailer?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Fjallravens G1000 is really just ply/cotton that has impregnated with wax. The more wax less breathabel but more waterproof. Don´t know where to get them over there bit if you ever visit sweden look up a shop called "Naturkompaniet" (shops all over sweden) they are owned by fjallraven and has most of their trousers.

There is also other brands that use the same fabric and only cost half the price, but they are not sold outside sweden.

249-09.jpg

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi, I have a pair of Fjallraven pants, an old design that doesn't feature in the current catalogue. Tight weave polycotton is great for keeping the wind out and they're decently made. Heavier and not so silly looking as Rohan stuff. Dearer than army surplus so I'm not that rough with them.

The big problem is finding a supplier. There are only two listed in the UK and I tried the Manchester one recently. It's a fashion outlet ! - apparantly stuff like wax cotton belstaff bike jackets and Fjallraven is niche fashion now: so it's dear and they don't keep the items we'd want.

I wouldn't buy Fjallraven mail order because like tenson and some others, the proportions can be pretty weird. Huge belly, no bottom ? Stick thin ? There are clothes to fit everyone if you sort through the brands. So I've given up until I'm next in their part of the world.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Viking said:
Fjallravens G1000 is really just ply/cotton that has impregnated with wax. The more wax less breathabel but more waterproof. Don´t know where to get them over there bit if you ever visit sweden look up a shop called "Naturkompaniet" (shops all over sweden) they are owned by fjallraven and has most of their trousers.

There is also other brands that use the same fabric and only cost half the price, but they are not sold outside sweden.

Viking, could you give a few names of these alternative brands which would be worth checking out? Probably get them direct from shops or online stores (I have friends in SE who would help). Thanks.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I recently bought a Fjellraven Iceland jacket in G1000 and can safetly say it is the best jacket I have come across in a long long time.

Single layer poly/cot it is windproof but not waterproof (although you can do this with a parrafin wax sold by fjallraven) however this doesnt matter as even soaked it dries in very quickly. If you wear a good insulating layer underneath (wool) this isn't a problem anyway.

The features are good, big pockets, hood and re-enforced shoulders and elbows.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Where did you get it then Gary? On your recent trip? No chance of Bearclaw stocking some of the Fjellraven stuff? :?:

Bill

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yes Tenbears I got it in Sweden - they retail at around £114 so arent cheap.

Of course the easy answer is visit Sweden - in fact there is a shop which sells them in Arjang

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well, squidwort if your gonna bushcraft extreme shop Swedens the place to do it - :biggthump its the land of axes, knives and mess kits!!

It even has a few pretty blonde ladies - not that I noticed. :shock: and snaps :shock: and, and what was this thread about?? Oh ya and Jackets, it even has those! :rolmao:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
I recently bought a Fjellraven Iceland jacket in G1000 and can safetly say it is the best jacket I have come across in a long long time.

Single layer poly/cot it is windproof but not waterproof (although you can do this with a parrafin wax sold by fjallraven) however this doesnt matter as even soaked it dries in very quickly. If you wear a good insulating layer underneath (wool) this isn't a problem anyway.

The features are good, big pockets, hood and re-enforced shoulders and elbows.

Saw your similar Poly/cotton jackets thread over on British Blades Gary. Sounds like the Fjallraven really is what I was talking about over on the Barbour Waxed Coats? thread :).

For more info on Fjallraven (correctly written 'Fjällräven' or Fjallraven for Google searches or try as 'Fjäll räven' or 'Fjall raven' also to search on eBay) check out:

Fjällräven English Home Page

Full details of products, materials etc. Also they have details of all retailers in Europe (UK only has two which is a shame. In France there are quite a few and Germany has loads).

More details on the G1000 poly/cotton material developed by them for 40 years and the 'Greenland Wax' here, in English:

Products - G 1000

Here is the 'Iceland Jacket' model which Gary picked up ( There are 3 colour way options) from 2004 Spring/Summer range. Not in Autumn/Winter 2004/2005 range):

Fjallraven - Iceland Jacket

81420.jpg

Nice :)

This model caught my eye (also from 2004 Spring/Summer range. Not in Autumn/Winter 2004/2005 range):

Fjallraven - Knott Jacket

Interesting design:

81419.jpg

and handy mossie net/ ninja mask feature :D

81419_2.jpg

The outer fabric finish on the lower image looks just right to me.

They have a wide product range with two seasons currently included. I found it a bit frustrating as the products differ from spring/summer and autumn/winter. I understand the need for new products and different materials/ styles for the different climates but they seem to drop products and then bring them back or not the next year. But there is certainly a good choice. They have a lot with 'Hydratic' goretex type microporous layers for waterproof quality. But I guess what we are talking about here is the improved breathability of coly/ cotton plus the fact that these types of waterproof layers are vulnerable to the type of abuse ( thorns, scrub, hard wear) they get in bushcraft use. Just check in the product description for each product which is well presented.

For shopping options try eBay (check spelling alternatives above). A lot of Germans/ German ebay shops seem to sell Fjallraven gear and most ship to UK/ Europe. For example:

Outdoor und Trekking Store

They currently has the Fjäll Räven Telemark Jacket New, in Light Khaki for €149/ £102 ( I have not brought from there or recommend it just shown as an example!). That is poly/cotton. Product info (think it is the same jacket here Telemark II Jacket. Also some trousers. Plenty more on eBay.

Another option is to order it direct from the online German shops. For example:

Daerr - Fjällräven Product List. On that search page simply select Fjäll räven in the 'Hersteller' (manufacturer search) menu and start search. Lots of Fjallraven products stocked. It is all in German but I checked the shipping info and they send to UK and Europe. (again I have not brought from there or recommend it just shown as an example!).

Apparently the largest online outdoor store in Germany is:

Globetrotter and they stock their own brand poly/cotton stuff apparently. Fjallraven stuff here:

Globetrotter Fjäll Räven Online-Shop

Of course the nicest option is to grab one of Ryanairs £1.99 flight offers going at the moment. £29.50 all in price get over there and for cost of shipping, shop around for a good price, try it out, check out the blondes, drink the beer and even do some trekking enjoying the freedom to roam and camp where you like (well pretty much) :biggthump :eek:): :biggthump :eek:):

A lot of my friends in Scandinavia wear this kit ( nearly all the students in the forestry/ landscape college wore it like a uniform!). They really rate the trousers too because they are pretty much thorn proof and tough. They have loads of pockets etc and additional protection to knees, backside etc on a lot of the models. Now I just have to find the money to buy some gear :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
yep thats my baby - oddly mines green and black too! :wink:

Good write up there Moonraker! :biggthump :You_Rock_

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm searching for places to buy the iceland jacket online - looks like the standard price in germany is 189 euros with shipping free or no more than EUR20 at worst. Colors seem to be changing compared to the FJ spring summer 04 listings as the outlets I've found have them in green & black like gary's or sand and black.

Cheers

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Alick

Can you let us know how it goes if you do get one. Do you speak German or are the sites in english as well?

Thanks

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
looks like theres a Fjallaven retailer in the uk is near you Bill

Westmark Cottage midhurst Road
GU31 5AT Petersfield-Hampshire 0044 1730263477

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tenbears10 said:
Alick

Can you let us know how it goes if you do get one. Do you speak German or are the sites in english as well?

Thanks

Bill

tenbears10: Most sites are only in German but using the search (suche) helps to locate the item you want (try both 'Fjäll räven' and 'Fjällräven' as the search words). I mentioned a bit about this in my earlier post.

I tend to check words in Altavista Babelfish German-English to give me some basic guidance and check the Fjallraven web site to see the details of the clothes and sizes etc.

If you are not comfortable doing this or ordering then send them an English email with details of the item and whatever reference details you can find on the website. I find that nearly all German sites will respond quickly and in English. Worth confirming minimum order value for non German orders, total cost to ship to UK and availability etc whilst you ar at it.

GL :biggthump

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tomtom said:
looks like theres a Fjallaven retailer in the uk is near you Bill

Westmark Cottage midhurst Road
GU31 5AT Petersfield-Hampshire 0044 1730263477

The name is 'Field, Moor & Stream' for info but no web site I can find. The address suggests it is not a big operator but then the smaller merchants often have the better service! Please let us know what it is like stock wise and price wise if you do contact them.

tenbears10 said:
Thanks for that. I really like some of the trousers on the Fjällräven site.
tenbears10: The better trousers will be made from the G1000 poly cotton material they are famous for. I noticed that the cheaper models were using something else with 73% micropolyamide, 27% cotton. I suspect that this is not as robust.

I am going to email them asking for samples of the materials they use.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
tenbears10 said:
Alick

Thanks

Bill
Hi Bill, don't claim to speak a word of German, it's twenty plus years since I did a year of it at school. I do quite like messing about looking for similarties between words in different languages so I'll just do a simple message in english and then try a German version based on a google translation with a bit of tidying up.

I found two sites in addition to Moonraker's - one of these has a few spots of english saying that they'll happily ship to UK and offer a 14 days return policy - I like that, just in case the sizing is oddball.

they are

www.lauche-maas.de then choose hersteller_sucher from the list on the left side of the screen and look for fjall raven

also

www.unterwegs.biz/index.php?load=/a...?id=2026&sid=236c22e33f0f05831e3c0755e2f30c5f

In german look for Island not Iceland to find the jackets and pants

Ciao, Alick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE