Fjallkniven PHK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
I have had the above knife for 11 years; I’m a recreational deer stalker, but she would say that given the time I spend on the hill, the forest and the fields, that I am more professional; I’m not paid for it! Quite the opposite. The knife is as sharp if not sharper when I first bought it; my left forearm is bald. I use a Lanksky sharpening system and find it to be very good.

My son and I are going wild camping for the weekend. I am loathed to bring it with me as I only use it to gralloch deer, boar and Gemse (mountain goats) I realise that I need a fixed blade knife but I don’t want to buy a Mora knife nor do I want to buy the offerings from the outdoor store as they are crazy expensive. I am thinking of staying with Fjallkniven because my experience is good with them. I don’t really want to spend more than 200 quid. I know people say good things about Mora but I would rather pay once for something of quality than buy numerous Mora’s.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I would stay with fallkniven then, I have good experience with the F1 in Vg10, but if not wanting to bring an axe the A1 is very good.

Look on the classifieds section here and you might find both....i do remember an A1 for sale on here recently

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’d say stick to what works for you and what you know. Another good brand along a similar vein is Casstrom. Lars Falt designed knives for both brands and he knows his onions. And on top of that they make versions of Alan Woods knives too and when it comes to blades he certainly knows about his onions and then some.

Very well priced.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I’d say get a Falkniven if that what you like.
The H1 in CoS sounds like it would be suitable…

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

Grüezi wohl!

Don't underestimate Morakniv!

I owned and used many years the Fjällkniven F1 and find the stainless steel Morakniv Garberg better as all purpose hiking and Survival knife. But I recommend to get it with leather sheath.

I am no hunter though and don't know if for hunting knives a blade with better edge retention is the better idea.
For general bushcraft use the optimal steel quality is a knive that is easy to sharpen in forest and field but still has the best possible edge retention.

But a Victorinox Compact or Climber or Opinel No8 Carbone also will do most of the time, if we are honest.

People are discussing fix blade knives in internet busucraft forums over pages and in the end admit that they usually use Opinel or Victorinox, because it's far easier to long into the right pocket of the trouser than to digg in the pouches of the rucksack...

;)

Last edited:

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
Conor may I take you slightly off topic?
Is the PHK the only knife you use on the gralloch?
I was wondering how you find it on smaller species, tunnelling etc.

I mainly shoot Reds, Sika and Roe. It makes light work of the Atlas joint across the board. On smaller Roe, I use a knife that a friend gave me. He made it himself and it looks like a small table knife. I will post a picture of it later this evening, if I can…

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Picture posting, if you don't have a Full Member (paid) subscription, you need to put photos on something like Flikr and link them in from there. Many on-line host pages will work, but some are definitely easier to use than others.

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
Conor may I take you slightly off topic?
Is the PHK the only knife you use on the gralloch?
I was wondering how you find it on smaller species, tunnelling etc.
Hello Ooops

I wasn’t possible to upload any pictures on Friday night; we went camping. Anyway, I hope you can see what I use when I go stalking. The knife with the Roe Antler is what I use for tunnelling and the extremities. Each knife is razor sharp and all will remove hair with ease from ones forearm….

Reactions: Ooops

Ooops

May 11, 2017
Hants but currently in Oman
Hello Ooops

I wasn’t possible to upload any pictures on Friday night; we went camping. Anyway, I hope you can see what I use when I go stalking. The knife with the Roe Antler is what I use for tunnelling and the extremities. Each knife is razor sharp and all will remove hair with ease from ones forearm….
Conor many thanks for this, very kind of you

Reactions: Conor

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
You’re very welcome. Before we left on Friday, I managed to pick up a Nieto Patrol knife for my son for CHF 74, which is about GBP 60. It’s a very solid knife; it split logs with ease and it kept it’s edge for the weekend.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I can’t help feeling Fallkniven are missing a trick in not offering the PHK in a small and large version. The former also to be reduced in blade thickness.

But what do I know!

K

Reactions: Conor

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
I can’t help feeling Fallkniven are missing a trick in not offering the PHK in a small and large version. The former also to be reduced in blade thickness.

But what do I know!

K
I am used to the PHK but I agree, it would be better if the blade was about 4cm shorter. However I cannot fault it. It’s ability to cut through bone and retain sharpness is amazing. Is it worth the money; I don’t know. I think the new Nieto Patrol that I bought could give it a run for its money. The Nieto uses AN58 steel and costs 1/5 of the price of the PHK

mimo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2020
London
There is the H1, that also used to be available in 3G steel...I guess until they decided to make a "next generation" F1 in 3G for twice the price :D239818161_572083190496978_3627132819510085213_n.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE