Five most usefull knots for Bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
probably the most simple knot with expandable uses is a double strand end knot tied with a simple double strand loop and through.

Loop your rope back on its own end and tie a simple knot with both strands at once. You will achieve a secure, non slip loop.

This can be used quickly and easily for joining ropes, making slipknots, lashing loops, rope shortening. It lends itself well.

Is a locking knot and not easily untied but that can be a good or bad thing.No good for a mid rope tether, and is not a mid rope knot.

Not sure about slippage, but I've never had a problem using it for bushcraft.

Will say tough that I would not make a tyre swing with it as I have a feeling it may pull through, or turn inside out. I suppose that it would be easily be strengthened with an otter, some water and an additional burrow or two.

To utilise this type of knot fully, you do need an additional knot that gives you a tension fastening.

But then again permanent knots(arbour/jam knot) , semi permanent (poachers) and tricknots (reef) are used with what qualities you need.

Ps . Whoever thought being in knots would be such a deep well of hilarity.(easy pickings!)

Last edited:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
The ones I use the most.
I hope the English names are right.

Reef Knot
Sheet Bend
Bowline
Clove Hitch (Although I prefer a Constrictor Knot)
Figure 8

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A bight is a loop where the ends dont cross (capital U ) not as in a loop where the ends do cross (Omega) -if you see what I mean...
It is nothing to do with the computer bible -"In the begining was the Word and the Word was 2 bytes long
Nor tooth work as in "If a bad boy was bit bad was the biter a bad bad boy biter?"

:lmao: my head is now completely betwaddled !!! I sort of see what you mean, may go and play with b its of string to try and get it into my bones ...

bearbait

The bowline on a bight is good for forming a loop in the middle (the bight) of the rope but you do need access to the ends of the rope in order to tie it, whereas the manharness knot giving you a loop can be tied without needing the ends of the rope. The bowline on a bight, however, gives you two loops, which once tied, can be adjusted for a larger and smaller loop so that, for example, you could sit in one loop and have the other around your chest for safety as an improvised bosun's chair.

A bight is also the gappy bit between two headlands, a.k.a. a bay, generally a deeply indented bay.

If you get into knots and knotting try and get hold of a copy of the Ashley Book Of Knots - around 3,800 to try!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The bowline on a bight is good for forming a loop in the middle (the bight) of the rope but you do need access to the ends of the rope in order to tie it,

well they're just variations of a slip/quick release knot that constrict.

An "overhand loop"(???) gives you a static loop, midrope knot.

Also see a butterfly knot, I believe. Or a farmers hitch.

I ask again, a tether for tieing one rope end to the second rope mid rope. Non slip, and if at all possible with the second rope taught.

Edit . Overhand loop. Static loop OR midrope

Last edited:

bearbait

The bowline on a bight is good for forming a loop in the middle (the bight) of the rope but you do need access to the ends of the rope in order to tie it,

No, you don't.

I stand corrected - thank you.

I ask again, a tether for tieing one rope end to the second rope mid rope. Non slip, and if at all possible with the second rope taut.

A prusik knot would seem to come close to your needs, although this knot is designed to slip under control when there is no load on it. Perhaps there is a variant of this that may serve?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
A prusik knot would seem to come close to your needs, although this knot is designed to slip under control when there is no load on it. Perhaps there is a variant of this that may serve?

nope, too non permanent, but thankyou for trying.

I can always tie my big complicated knot, with lots of constrictors, strangles , etc. It would be good to know a knot that would do as it would have alot of uses, and could be applied in multiple roles. I think some knots that only tie only under tension may suffice, a sort of "suprise knot".

So far I reccon :

farmers hitch - a good midrope

poachers knot -a good strangle constrictor

sheet bend - a good joining knot

looped overhand knot tied with both sides - a good non constrictive teathering

THE constrictor knot (good for tyre swings) not really secure will require further knots

and a figure 8 knot for tension

Thats my 2 penneth worth !5 of the 6 are what would be regarded as knots, ie locking

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My top 5;

Evenk knot
Penberthy Prussic
Slipped fig 9
Guyline knot
Truckers hitch

The Sledge knot, fig 8, shoelace knot, clove hitch and timber hitch in addition to those 5 cover most bases for me.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I only really know three:

Prussic Loop
Siberian Hitch
Round Turn and Two Half Hitches

I lied: four

Clove Hitch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE