Five most usefull knots for Bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
In not really a knot guy....and these are not all knots

bowline and its derivatives
Constrictor knot and its derivatives..I use this one a LOT
clove hitch, I actually always have a tough time with this, the easiest of all, except for tying my shoes.
albright knot
Truckers hitch

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I use:

Evenk Hitch
Prussic Loop
Truckers Hitch
Taut Line Hitch
Clove Hitch
Marlin Spike Hitch

I know that's 6 but that's all I've needed so far to setup hammocks and tarps etc

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I approach this situation from the opposite viewpoint....

I want a few knots (or hitches, bends etc.) to fulfil a number of tasks;
1, Attach a cord to a strong point
2, Attach to itself and slide to tighten/loosen a loop
3, Attach to a second line and move/grip as required
4, Tightly bind a compressible bundle
5, Secure two ends of cord together either the same or different diameters
... if these can be achieved with a "slip-finish" to allow easy un-doing, then so much the better

Add in a few knots of specific use and some decorative elements and I should be good to go!

What these knots are in actuality is open to interpretation at the point of use - I have been tying knots since I was a Cub Scout some forty odd years ago, certain knots remain as useful, others rise and fall in popularity as the mood takes me.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm really not good at knots, was quite terrified everyone would come round and criticise at my first camp with other bushy folk last year! Looking at these I find I can do ...

Round turn and 2 half hitches
Clove hitch
Shoe lace bow
Reef
Prussic (just about)

Edit: Oh and I've no idea what a bite is unless it's in a computer and then you spell it with a "y" !!!

Maybe there's hope for me yet :)

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm really not good at knots, was quite terrified everyone would come round and criticise at my first camp with other bushy folk last year! Looking at these I find I can do ...

Round turn and 2 half hitches
Clove hitch
Shoe lace bow
Reef
Prussic (just about)

Edit: Oh and I've no idea what a bite is unless it's in a computer and then you spell it with a "y" !!!

Maybe there's hope for me yet :)

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...
A bight is a loop where the ends dont cross (capital U ) not as in a loop where the ends do cross (Omega) -if you see what I mean...
It is nothing to do with the computer bible -"In the begining was the Word and the Word was 2 bytes long
Nor tooth work as in "If a bad boy was bit bad was the biter a bad bad boy biter?"

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the sheepshank- good for impressing other bushcrafters or women who don't know better, with a pleasing "rustic" sounding country amimaly name.

The reef knot - a knot for attaching 2 ropes that are the wrong length . a real day to day knot.

The shoelace bow - good to to be able to tie your shoes, I find it inspires confidence in bushcrafters and others around you. It takes alot of practice, but pays dividends with people trusting you, and taking your word for things.

The big complex knot (also called the 'I can't remember its name, but I think thats how they tied it' hitch) starts sometimes as a sheep shank, sometimes as something else, involves lots and lots of simple loop knots, whilst muttering about rabbits and burrows , is thought to have been invented , just like scrabble, by Lewis Carroll. Is completed with the announcement "well it may not be exactly the same, but it ought to hold"

the noose- for when someone has had a good fill of camping , and wishes to give subtle hints to one's companion that eastenders won't watch itself. Also a good knot to be able to recognise early on ! A tree or two filled with nooses, as well as the inside of the tent, is usually a good enough sign

Also,

not 5 but 10

www.motherearthnews.com/modern-home...45232785591&action=collapse_widget&id=4029297

Last edited:

bearbait

...The reef knot - a knot for attaching 2 ropes that are the wrong length . a real day to day knot...

The reef knot can capsize under some conditions. If I'm depending on the join holding I use a sheet bend or double sheet bend, especially if the ropes are different diameter.

...The big complex knot (also called the 'I can't remember its name, but I think thats how they tied it' hitch) starts sometimes as a sheep shank, sometimes as something else, involves lots and lots of simple loop knots, whilst muttering about rabbits and burrows , is thought to have been invented , just like scrabble, by Lewis Carroll. Is completed with the announcement "well it may not be exactly the same, but it ought to hold"...

This could be a bowline? Or a bowline on a bight?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the carrick bend looks a replacement for the reef and others, will have to learn that.

The sheepshank , whilst good for not needing rope shortening has apparrently a bad reputation for slipping.

As for the reef knot, I usually find by miraculous chance that the two pieces of whatever I've just cut usually turn out to be the same diameter.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
the carrick bend looks a replacement for the reef and others, will have to learn that.

The sheepshank , whilst good for not needing rope shortening has apparrently a bad reputation for slipping.

As for the reef knot, I usually find by miraculous chance that the two pieces of whatever I've just cut usually turn out to be the same diameter.
If your sheepshank slips use clove hitches instead of 1/2 hitches - and if you cut your cord why do you want to knot it again? :)
The reef knot was designed to capsize easily so you could quickly shake out the reefs in a sail....
Sheet bends were designed to bend two sheets (ropes to non-nautical types) safely and securely.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Not to use a blunt knife
Not to forget to take your rubbish home
Not to enjoy yourself
Not to join BCUK
Not to buy to much gear

And finally

Not to have a laugh

Ok globe trotter say no more. Priceless. Was with you up until point "don't 3", personally just between you and me, I don't think BCUK's much good either, where do you go usually ?

Now I've gone and broke rule 6

Tempted tempted ......

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The carrick bend is an awkward thing to use for joining two ropes. It doesn't retain that nice 'plaited' shape when the weight comes on it, but changes into a big knobbly thing. It's good in that it doesn't jam up but would only really be used in big ropes. Bearbait's suggestion of single or double sheet bend is a much handier way to join two ropes whether they are the same size or not.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If your sheepshank slips use clove hitches instead of 1/2 hitches - and if you cut your cord why do you want to knot it again? :)
The reef knot was designed to capsize easily so you could quickly shake out the reefs in a sail....
Sheet bends were designed to bend two sheets (ropes to non-nautical types) safely and securely.

the reef and others are supposed to slip under load .is the carrick a sheet bend john? It is supposidly easy to untie, but without slipping.

Like ogi the trog stated, most people will approcach it from another viewpoint. A few knots combined to do multiple tasks.

This is what I use in general

a joining attachment, ie. reef

a loop attachment, for non constrictive tethering
good fo slipnots

a constrictor that preferably doesnt undo and the knot is not the load bearer - for making my tyre swings with

a mid rope knot, easier and better than the sheepshank, perhaps for securing reef knot ends with

an attachment for tension that wont slacken whilst tying it, or work its way loose.

And maybe a post tether

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Carrick bend was used to joinlarge ropes and cables such as tow ropes and anchor cables as it will not jam even when wet. Also known as the Wake knot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE