Fitting Whoopie Slings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Evening all

I've just purchased my first hammock and hope to test drive it on Sunday night. It's a TW Hornet and I've also got some DD tree huggers and whoopie slings.

SO, newbie hanger question is

Do I fit the slings direct through the hammock ends or

Do I make a loop of the fabric webbing that came with it and attach the slings to that

Cheers
Andy

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
You can just thread them through the hammock's channel.
i always think they are a bit thin for that though and prefer to use a webbing loop on the hammock and larks head the whoopies to that, just seems a bit more sympathetic

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Through the hammock channel directly worked fine and held up perfectly in use on my DD camping and frontline hammocks, but no harm in using to a short loop of webbing if you prefer or it's easier. I figured the less component parts the less to fail and lower the weight but realistically that probably doesn't matter much in reality !

Cheers, Paul

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
One thing worth mentioning, DD whoopies don't come with any beads to stop the loops pulling back through.
No big deal as long as you're aware of it

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
79530bf9fc29e5a5b3e43a5892e5a2f9.jpg

Like so

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
One thing worth mentioning, DD whoopies don't come with any beads to stop the loops pulling back through.
No big deal as long as you're aware of it

I add beads to any whoopies I make now but when I first started hammocking it didn't occur to me that they could pull through. On one outing, my son managed to exactly that while setting up.

I've since added split rings (like you would put keys on) into the adjustable loop of any old whoopies to stop this happening. On of my project for this weekend is to make a spare whoopie to keep in my pack.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I add beads to any whoopies I make now but when I first started hammocking it didn't occur to me that they could pull through. On one outing, my son managed to exactly that while setting up.

I've since added split rings (like you would put keys on) into the adjustable loop of any old whoopies to stop this happening. On of my project for this weekend is to make a spare whoopie to keep in my pack.

I use cheap karabiners for the same purpose. Using different coloured ones at each end tells me which end is which too, as I only have entry to my hammock from one side.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's not a hammock! That's a portable palace!! Lol!
I have to agree I don't see the need for those fancy gimmicky things and use a very basic nylon job. But it was the first Google showed me with the ratchet strap method

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE