Long Dymeena lead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have just taken delivery of some 1/4inch 6mm dymeena cable and had an idea I would like to run past you fine folk. This is for one connection between the tree huggers and the binner end of my hammock, the other will have a whoopie sling at the other, for fine tuning of length.
LongLead.jpg
I have made an eye splice with a very long bury, there is a soft shackle holding the ends together at point "A". This will never be load bearing, it is just to keep things tidy for the moment. { Will be whipped in the finished product}. At points "B" and "C" there are soft shackles passing through both the inner and outer cord. These points could be anywhere down the length and are just two representative points of the one that will be used in the field.
The plan is to turn up and select my two trees and sling up my tarp. I now know where the hammock will go plus or minus 30cm / a foot. I then set up tree hugger no.1 and can eye ball just where one end of the hammock will go. Pass a small fid through the cable at said point, soft shackle on, hammock binner on...sorted. Tree hugger, whoopie sling hammock at other end, fine tune and were done.
So we come to the question will a soft shackle passing thought two 6mm lengths be ok. I am thinking it is like one of those webbing things with 20 loops sewn in but made from amsteel.
Comments Please!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't think this is a good idea at all. As I understand it, you will be hanging on a soft shackle that is located and supported by nothing more than the braid. I would bet big money that this will not hold and at best you will wreck your length of Amsteel. Your weight will try to pull the soft shackle through the braid, fraying it until until the braid becomes tight enough to stop it.

This summer I tried using a UCR type arrangement and didn't have enough bury, and a slip occurred that turned the braid into a bunch of straight loose fibres. Ruined the piece of cord. There is no real strength in the braid to resist being frayed out.

A better idea, I think, would be for you to make an Amsteel daisy chain, with a series of open loops separated with locked Brummels. This exact thing is used to support tree stands for hunters, so proven to be strong and reliable.

6mm is massively strong, I have used 2.5mm to hammock hang on, and 1/8th is normal. You will see they are using 1/8 for daisy chains.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As far as I understand climbing ropes have a tested safety factor of about 10, a hammock at low level does not need that much but because of the angle of ropes it needs to be more than half of the weight straight down. A guestimate of 4 of the total weight on the hammock feels about right. 6mm Dyneema can take an awful lot more, on the other hand it does not weight much anyway. I agree with C_C that a shackle through the braid is not a good idea for continuous use.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thanks Gents for your input. What seemed a good idea..... blah blah Yeah I was wrong!
Knocked up a length with a load of locked brummels that would seem to fit the bill. Ok I don't get to choose exactly where the binner fastens but the whoopie at the other end is for fine tuning.
I do however have a concern about the "locked" brummel. I have put them on other slings, at the eye, before the bury. I have understood this to be an aid when the sling is under NO tension, which is why there is still a need for a bury. i.e. it does not have function under loaded conditions i.e when I am asleep! I get that the binner will be putting stress on the lock from the other side, and, that I able not pulling down the weave of the braid BUT......... {needs reassurance here}
Again thanks for the input.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, from a rope design stand point it isn't ideal, but it does seem to work. I had a further look around....Hammock Forums is your friend here....

@TLM This is handy for figuring hammock loads...if that is something one needs to do:

Reactions: Hammock_man

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Wow that's some reading. One small point... there seems to be a few "I will go off and test" posts but then these guys don't seem to get back....... just saying.
So make a 3 way brummel, i.e. a into b, b into a then a into b again. Spaced 4inch / 10cm apart in a 6mm 1/4inch cable. Test said cable.
will post results even if its from Medway Hospital!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
@TLM This is handy for figuring hammock loads...if that is something one needs to do:
When I first bought a hammock quite a while ago I did that calculation and ended up with the rule that rope tension = weight, haven't done it since.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Well At long last I got chance to try the new "Paddy Ladder" as I now call them
GrandsonHammock.jpg
First thing was try it with my grandson, if it fails then its not my bum on the mud !!!
The binners on the end of the EasyHammock are fastened onto the loops in the ladder and you can just make out the spare length dangling down.
LadderKnotA.jpg
The loop has a brunmel lock, actually 4 of them A into B, B into A, A into B again and B into A to end. Might be an over kill but it holds. The photo was taken while I was in the hammock so is under full load. The top lock or two pushed down the the last one looked as if nothing was going on.

CloseupLadder.jpg
Above you can see the next set of brummels up the ladder and the second half of the one the binner touches is looking quite relaxed.

TreeHuggerCloseup.jpg

The Paddy Ladder was held to the tree with DD tree huggers and a 2nd binner through the first loop.

I borrowed Kim's tree huggers which had a binner lark headed on to it, being lazy. Kim and I both hate the idea of thin lines being wrapped round the bark of the tree so in future I would still have some DD Tree Hugger in use but without the binner.

Yes I could use a whoppie sling but with this with this set up
i) I am not relying the friction holding on the whoppie
ii) This cable was cheaper the 2mm dymeena
iii) Whoppies do have a max and min length, I think the ladder is more flexible.
iv) Set up is just eyeball the length, hook the binner in, test, move binner to better hole, done.
Feel free to disagree, I would like to know folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE