Fist offence leather work

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My first attempt at working with leather, with knives I would usually buy in a shop bought sheath, or advise people I don't make them and to buy an aftermarket. But this bowie being an unusual length and profile no stock sheaths seem to fit, so I've made one! It's not perfect, and I think until I get them perfect I'll supply both a store bought and these. But either way it's functional.
Any tips or hints?
ec8ea977033aa647f7cc8f0f63f785f3.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Looks like it fits the part, did you put an extra layer of leather between the front and back layers on the blade side to protect the stitching from the blade as it is inserted and removed? I've never made a sheath but i bought a one last year in a similar style to this with a fold and single side seam on the blade side and after 3 or 4 times of putting the knife in and out the stitching was cut and the sheath was no longer a sheath, upon inspection and comparison between that and my other sheaths this was the difference

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I did aye because I've had similar problems! Had to double the leather up anyway because it was a bit too supple

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Reminds me of the wild west style of sheaths like seen in movies where the cowboys have adopted native ways

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Reminds me of the wild west style of sheaths like seen in movies where the cowboys have adopted native ways
Aye that was what I was trying to go for tbh. Same as I was thinking of dying the leather darker but quite like the sand colour. The belt loop arguably is useless, I mean who walks around with that in the hip

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Only time i wear a knife on my belt is when i am setup and settled camped off the path enough not to bump into some random hiker to be terrified by the sight of it, i often use the belt loop to string a paracord/leather line through and hand around my neck under my top

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
With you there. Generally I'll actually have it down in a boot or under clothing. My bushcrafting partner is quite the opposite he'll happily have one on a chest rig or leg pouch!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
With Bod on the Western/First Nation feel. Saw quite a few like it when researching American sheaths and beadwork a year or two back.
Nice work by the way, matches in with the Bowie style.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
With Bod on the Western/First Nation feel. Saw quite a few like it when researching American sheaths and beadwork a year or two back.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
Cheers GB. Was something I fancied having a try of and got leather pretty cheap so going to teach myself. Quite enjoyed playing about with it so why not eh

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Cheers GB. Was something I fancied having a try of and got leather pretty cheap so going to teach myself. Quite enjoyed playing about with it so why not eh

I made a sheath for my bowie, not following anyones advice or rules, it is fairly thin leather (bright red BTW with yellow trimmings, why should sheaths be dull?) but folded over several times and glued and riveted rather than sewn, because I am crap at sewing. I have also made a sheath for my billhook which is even more beyond the pale, it is yellow leather with red applique decoration glued on, I like it anyway, sort of medieval looking in a heraldic way.

I shall be making another one soon for a dirk blade, which I ordered months ago and might actually be complete soon (There is a lot of work goes into these things, said the guy in broad Yorkshire tones). Yes I know dirks are not bushcraft, but the sheath for that has to contain dirk and a knife and fork set too, all of them with stag antler handles.

If it works for you and serves the purpose, then that is good enough for anybody.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I gotta admit i thought Fist Offence Leather Work was your brand name

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I like the style and the name of the thread.

Does the sheath have anything to protect the stitching from the cutting edge of the knife? I would want to add a little leather to protect the linen.
I have epoxied it together before stitching. Gives it a protective layer before the stitches. After a little test of a failed attempt it took longer to cut the stitching than the leather so no worries from me

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Yea that's what I like about it, it's got that Scalper look going on.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yea that's what I like about it, it's got that Scalper look going on.
Amazing how when you set out to make something practical and usable it often ends up similar to some of our more primitive nations styles! Makes me wonder, did they have it right all along

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Amazing how when you set out to make something practical and usable it often ends up similar to some of our more primitive nations styles! Makes me wonder, did they have it right all along

I think it just one of them universal laws "form ever follows function" when it's right, it's right, or, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", sort of thing. New materials may come and go, but leather and steel will never be obsolete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE