Fiskars X5 or X7 Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
I originally felt an X5 would be fine, and it was quite compact, then I saw one in the flesh and was surprised how small/light it was.

Is it really much good for general camp/bushcraft tasks, or would the X7 be more useful?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Of these two I have only used the X5 a bit, and I do like it. It is indeed very small but quite capable of processing a bit of wood for a campfire in the summer and it is very easy to carry. I do not know what you classify as "general camp/bushcraft tasks", but I would like the extra length of the x7 for general use. Although I have not used it I find that I like this size most when I`m camping. (I use a GB wildlife hatchet, which is comparable in size and weight to the x7)

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have and use the X5, and find it ideal for the small jobs at home like chopping fire wood, de-limbing christmas trees, etc.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I have a GB forset axe, and an X5 among other no name axes. I find the X5 handles better than the GB with small stuff. It's ideal for
the kind of splitting you do when making kindling, and splitting smaller branches. The coating seems to enable this kind of work where little force is needed.
However for splitting logs and other larger stuff the short handle simply won't give you enough leverage.
For general use, I advice you to go bigger. I don't own an x7, but maybe it's the best of both worlds?
(That said, to me, the Fiskars line of axes lack the charm of a GB, but that's a question of taste)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE