Fiskars billhook review

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
I bought my Fiskars X3 billhook last autumn as I had around six ton of Hazel to clear and I wanted to keep everything that was above 1" thick for the campfires, I was initially going to buy a traditional wooden handled billhook, but once I picked up the X3 it was no competition, it only weighs 420gr and the handle is nearly as long as the blade making it very versatile, it's not as pretty as the wooden handled ones, nor at first glance does it look particularly sturdy but after several months of intense work I can't fault it. It might be a bit light for hedge laying, but as an all rounder I can't fault it, I'd certainly recommend it to beginners also.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've had mine for nearly 12 months now. Firstly, for hedgelaying, it works a treat. Easy to manoeuvre, and flicking your wrist as you swing gives you the swing speed that it lacks in weight over a more traditional billhook.
My hook goes everywhere with me (not had call for a hatchet around camp since buying it)
Once you've nailed the technique of flicking your wrist as you swing it, 3 and 4 inch diameter ash (dieback) trees can be felled in 3 or 4 swings, and chopped to 4 foot lengths the same.

The downside to this hook is it's awful sheath/case.

touched by nature

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Thanks for the review. Looks like a handy bit of kit and your testimony to its durability makes it very attractive

126003-Brush-Hook-X3_product_main_large.jpg

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
I've got the previous version. It is awesome indeed! As Mentioned That Long Handle does Make It Very Versatile. In Terms of Power To Weight it's Even Better Than the GB Mini.

Cheers, And.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE