fiskars 14" hatchet, gransfors equivilant?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shawn

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2008
usa
gabushcraft.blogspot.com
Hi, let me start by saying that i have little experience with different axes, ive used a 19" wetterlings, cold steel hawks and
I have a 14" length 7/8lb Fiskars hatchet that ive found to be perfect for woodcarving. its edge is very narrow, its the only axe ive seen with scandi grind, i think this is one reason why it works so well.
Another big plus for me is that its so light, i can use it for several hours without my arm getting the least bit tired.

ill give some info hopefully will help give you an idea of what i want.

Instead of using a hefty axe and letting the weight do the work as ive heard is the traditional method of chopping (when i try this method seems to be less precise and remove too much wood, (plus raising it back up each time, it is heavy tiring work). with this light little bugger i rapidly flick my wrist within just a few inches of motion back and forth, removing many small chips. This method produces a very flat evenly planed surface.

Id like to get an axe that can perform similar but with a wood handle and more traditional style.

Does Gransfors make such an axe or are they generally more beefed up for bushcraft duty rather than precision carving in the shop?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Give Cegga a shout Shawn, he'll probably have something which fits the bill.

If he's not got one made already he'll probably have something on the way.

I have one of these and can't rate it highly enough.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Shawn,

I'm in North Carolina and do some ax carvings too. I have several small axes and love my Cegga. If you anywhere near you could drop by and try some of mine to see if you like one over the others.

If you don't find anything else, Granfors-Bruks make a very small backpack ax that would be perfect for what you describe, You can find them in the better backpacking stores like REI or Great Outdoors Provision Company.

Any production ax is better inspected before you buy, in other words hold it, look at the grain of the haft and be sure the head is aligned.

Cegga can be trusted to deliver the highest quality every time sight unseen. No need to worry.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Now that does look interesting!
happy0034.gif

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi !!
I send a pm to you :cool:
But this is the last week I work then HOLYDAY so I have no time to make you a new
But I have some axes ready so if some of them fit you .You can have one send this week.
Cegga

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE