Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
My fishing experience has been mostly of the bent pin on the end of a pier, freshwater crayfish traps and illegal tickling of trout. I'm looking to put together a very basic kit so that I can sit on the side of a river or whatever and dangle a line in to see what I get. What do you think is a very basic assortment of kit that would be useful?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
While noting that illegal activities are not suitable topics for discussion on BCUK ... :)

I have a telescopic fishing rod that I picked up in a charity shop for a couple of quid. I've never used it but one day I plan to give it a try.
I'd have thought you could do worse than throw one in your pack if you were off somewhere remote which offered bodies of living water.
That's a plan, when I find the time.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm a fly fisherman, who has done some float and weight in the past. I'd say get a basic rod, with some bubble floats, size 12 hooks and some split shot, some worms for the bait- doesn't get much more simple than that and if you head to a tackle shop they'll be able to set you up with that for under £30 for decent stuff, good rod and reel etc. You could also get a few spoons and spinners as well.

They're are a few things you'll need to fish legally, a rod licence with the environment agency and a permit for the water you're on, although some are free. You'll likely need a landing net and a priest for most places won't allow you to fish without them.

The fly route is much more complicated- however it's all I really do these days. I had a days casting lesson and lots of help from experienced people we know. It's more complicated and you need more gear which is usually more expensive. Like rod, about 9ft five weight, reels with floating/sinking/intermediate line downing on your style of fishing and conditions, waders, net, assorted flys, priest, polarised sunglasses and a hat to protect you Reyes and head from the line and to help you see fish in the water so you can follow them, a vest is useful, leaders, about 9ft knot less and tapered, line sinkant and floatant etc etc.

You can hobo fish, technically your supposed to have a to to fish on fresh water. Anyway, I hope this has been useful- you should definitely try it, it's great fun! :)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
If you are going to go freshwater fishing, first of all get a licence from the post office, Argos or similar stores, sell complete starter kits at reasonable prices, that's a good starting point.

check your local fishing places, make sure that is open water and not belonging to a club, if you haven't got a licence, one offence, second is trespass, get caught double the trouble and not worth it.

good luck and tight lines!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I had a similar question over in [thread=122231]this thread[/thread]. May be worth a read. I've added the pen fishing rod to my shopping list.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE