Fishing Kit???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I was wondering what items to include in a small emergency fishing kit? If anybody has pictures, they would be most appreciated....

What I am particularly interested in is recommendations on lures, spinners, fly's or other artificial bait...

I am putting to gether belt survival kit based on a 58 pattern waterbottle pouch or similar and the fishing kit would be just on component...

Thanks in advance,

Pete

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I'm looking at putting a small kit together but hadn't considered any sort of lure or artificial bait.

However, it probably wouldn't hurt to put in a set of Mackeral Feathers. These are normally 4 to 6 hooks on a line with either coloured bits of feather or shiny tinsel.

Andy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Your emergency fishing kit needs to be tailored a little to suit the sort of environment that you expect to find yourself in. As a lifelong freshwater angler, (I've done quite a bit of sea fishing too though) and being based here in Bucks about as far from the sea as I could be in the UK, I don't bother myself with things like mackeral feathers. I bought a spool of 4lb line from the tackle shop, a small tub of split shot, some hooks, sizes 14, 10, and 6, and few small Arlesey bombs (ledger weights).
I fitted all of the shot, weights, and hooks into the tub that the shot came in, then I broke out the strengthening flanges in the plastic line spool creating a space in there just right for the small shot tub to slide into. I unwound about 30 yards of the 4lb line and re-wound it all on one side of the spool and then wound about 30 yards of heavier 12lb line onto the other side. This way I can get to whichever strength line I want. With this set up I can expect to be able to catch fish from most freshwaters as long as I can find a worm or some insect to use as bait.
I will occasionally carry a few small jig lures in a seperate box as these will tempt perch, chub, trout and even pike if used carefully. I always fish the lures with a wire trace so that the toothy predators cannot bite through the line.

If I'm using the normal hooks and perhaps a worm as bait I can fish it freelined, ledgered, or suspended under a float. I simply make a float out of a reed or twig as and when I need to.

If I expected to be by the sea I would uprate this kit to include heavier line, bigger hooks and perhaps a set of feathers, although I have found that I catch far more fish from the shore with a set of the small luminous "Hokkai" rigs, Mustad "Shrimper" rigs or Sabiki rigs than old fashioned feathers.
This page shows the things I'm on about..
https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Feathers.html

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Longstrider said:
Your emergency fishing kit needs to be tailored a little to suit the sort of environment that you expect to find yourself in. As a lifelong freshwater angler, (I've done quite a bit of sea fishing too though) and being based here in Bucks about as far from the sea as I could be in the UK, I don't bother myself with things like mackeral feathers. I bought a spool of 4lb line from the tackle shop, a small tub of split shot, some hooks, sizes 14, 10, and 6, and few small Arlesey bombs (ledger weights).
I fitted all of the shot, weights, and hooks into the tub that the shot came in, then I broke out the strengthening flanges in the plastic line spool creating a space in there just right for the small shot tub to slide into. I unwound about 30 yards of the 4lb line and re-wound it all on one side of the spool and then wound about 30 yards of heavier 12lb line onto the other side. This way I can get to whichever strength line I want. With this set up I can expect to be able to catch fish from most freshwaters as long as I can find a worm or some insect to use as bait.
I will occasionally carry a few small jig lures in a seperate box as these will tempt perch, chub, trout and even pike if used carefully. I always fish the lures with a wire trace so that the toothy predators cannot bite through the line.

If I'm using the normal hooks and perhaps a worm as bait I can fish it freelined, ledgered, or suspended under a float. I simply make a float out of a reed or twig as and when I need to.

If I expected to be by the sea I would uprate this kit to include heavier line, bigger hooks and perhaps a set of feathers, although I have found that I catch far more fish from the shore with a set of the small luminous "Hokkai" rigs, Mustad "Shrimper" rigs or Sabiki rigs than old fashioned feathers.
This page shows the things I'm on about..
https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Feathers.html

All this is pretty much 'sport fishing' gear, is it not? Would you be better off with something like a gill net - or is that confined to too narrow an environment (has to be flowing/tidal water)? What about those 'self-setting' hooks? For a true survival kit, would these not be better than the more traditional hook and line?

Sorry to be an angling biff but I'm not a fisherman, so I don't really understand the relative merits of one method over another.

By the way, before the pedants swarm in on me, I am aware that gill nets are illegal in many places so I'm not advocating their use in anything other than a true survival situation.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I hav always been under the impression that the kit is minimal, I take different size hooks, line and some split shot. the bait is normally available at the waters edge, floats can be made from thin branches and ledgers can be tied stones.

All my fishing kit can fit into a small match box with room to spare.

Dont forget that hooks can be done the old fasioned way using thorns ( Ray Mears way ).

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If you're talking about an emergency fishing kit as you mentioned I presume you won't be carrying a rod and reel with you. Using lures/spinners without a rod and reel isn't really effective, say tied to the end of a stick. They need to be cast out and retreived at different speeds/depths to be really effective using a rod and reel.
A true emergency survival fishing kit (small, uncomplicated, and lightweight) Is pack a selection of hooks ranging from small sized freshwater hooks to medium sea hooks all tied to a length of braid or nylon around 40cm long or so with crane interlock swivel or similar https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Swivels.html#a643 at the other end about 8lb breaking strain to cover sea and freshwater (if you tie them ready before you go you won't have to do it with cold hands in the field) the other side of the swivel (ie the snaplink side) can be easily connected to a low diameter length of paracord about 20 metres with a small loop tied into one end. You can cut a 12ft or so sapling to use as a pole to tie the other end of the cord or tie the cord at a suitable length for the depth of water you're fishing in, as you'll need to strike when you get a bite and you don't want too much slack. Add some split shot on the braid/nylon to sink the bait, but keep the shot away from the hook and nearer the para-cord end of the nylon. I would not bother with feathers as they also need to be 'worked' to be effective, and again without a rod or reel it's just not possible. Maybe if you were fishing from a deep water rock ledge it would be but at a push.
Bait can be gathered very easily in any environment. Lobworms, redworms and by the sea shrimps, mussels, crab, razor clam, piddock shellfish, lugworm , rag worm.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Thanks folks...

The basics I am pretty much ok on just wondered if there was any new artifical baits that were worth including...

I will probably include some wire trace as well, or maybe some of the newer kevlar type lines...

Thanks again,

Pete

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
You could also try stuff called power bait comes in a small jar, its a putty type stuff, usuall bright in colour and scented (i think) to attract fish. All you need to do is attach to the hook. Its not allowed in some fisheries so must be good!

I'm glad to find this thread as this is something I am working on myself because I live in an area with a major river and lots of creeks and streams. I'll post pics of what I have so far when I can access photobucket again and I'll look forward to more input by others. I have a lot of experience with saltwater pole fishing and freshwater net and trott line fishing but have much to learn about fly fishing and such..., I have bought several flies but know nothing about how to use them.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I would take several hundred metres of 12lb fishing line, and a large selection of hooks up to about size 2/0, and down to about size 14. With this, you can easily make up an effective nightline that will catch fish, I have used it on lots of occasions legally in the UK in the sea. In rivers or lochs it is also effective.
As well as that, I would take a gill net, or maybe just the netting. I have a nice one in 55mm mesh that weighs 125g, very small and very effective.

Are speedhooks really effective? As with nightlines, I have always caught sufficient fish. Just make the hook small and cover it in food, that way the fish is hooked deep down and can't escape.

And if I had space, I would pack in another big piece of gill net. They aren't that heavy.

If I had to take some bait, I'd go with salted mackerel. Easy to make, keeps easy, and tiny pieces dropped in rockpools will attract prawns and crabs. Large bits will catch most fish. In my experience, powerbait is terrible.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
the best emergency fishing kit by far is a small lightweight gill net --- a good way to use baited hooks in an emergency is to attach a short length to an empty watertight container like a water bottle/pop bottle to create a ''drag'' effect on the fish, the fish will tire and always come to the surface because of the air in bottle and will not break line because of the ''give'' in being able to drag large ''air float'', attaching directly to stick can result in break especially with short line.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
id say it depends whether this is a real 'put away and forget about survival kit' or if its something for bushcrafty weekends. if its the former, then speedhooks and gill nets are probably the way to go, but if your intending to practice before the event. . youre talking serious fines and perhaps worse if you get caught by local anglers.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Did you had a look at the NATO fishing kit? I picked one up from e-bay for a grand total of 2 GBP. Add a small selection of different sized individual hooks (with eye), 5 meters of nylon fishing line, a speedhook or 2 and you're sorted IMO. The speedhooks can also be used as a trap for small game, if you're in situation that dictates you to do so.

EDIT:
Just noticed this thread is an oldie... :rolleyes:

E

edwred

I would take several hundred metres of 12lb fishing line, and a large selection of hooks up to about size 2/0, and down to about size 14. With this, you can easily make up an effective nightline that will catch fish, I have used it on lots of occasions legally in the UK in the sea. In rivers or lochs it is also effective.
As well as that, I would take a gill net, or maybe just the netting. I have a nice one in 55mm mesh that weighs 125g, very small and very effective.

Are speedhooks really effective? As with nightlines, I have always caught sufficient fish. Just make the hook small and cover it in food, that way the fish is hooked deep down and can't escape.

And if I had space, I would pack in another big piece of gill net. They aren't that heavy.

If I had to take some bait, I'd go with salted mackerel. Easy to make, keeps easy, and tiny pieces dropped in rockpools will attract prawns and crabs. Large bits will catch most fish. In my experience, powerbait is terrible

what locations have ou used nightlines on? i just bought a yo yo reel to use legally in the sea or small tidal rivers but i live in quite an urban area. did you need quite a deep water mark to do that? see, theres an estuary near me i could go to and use a longline made out of some 30lb mono tied to 2 tall sticks with snoods coming off with hooks. i would set it at low tide and then check it the next time, but i am abit worried about dogs birds ect getting caught

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE