Fishing in Sweden?? Confused!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hi folks,

I’m hoping someone on here has some experience of fishing and more so permits!

So the Mrs and I are currently planning a wild camping / touring trip up through central Sweden and ending Are. I’m very keen to get some fishing in and we have already planned a few stop offs to wild camp near various lakes etc. Problem is I am having a nightmare of a time finding out about fishing permits- from what I can tell pretty much every lake requires one but from where??

Not really bothered about guided fishing as I won’t be taking all of my kit. Most likely some spinning kit for the versatility.

I have found an online site (iFiske) claiming to sell permits but only for some lakes and waterways (even this site isn’t that clear). So how do I go about finding permits for specific lakes or areas? Tourist information offices in the actual towns?

Any help or experience is appreciated, I’ve looked all over online but can’t find anything definitive. It’s not helped by various travel guides suggesting fish in this lake but no info on permits, landowners permission etc!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I will try to help you, but I have to do it from my Ipad at home, where I have the Swedish letters.

Generally speaking, you have to buy the fishing permits in every county where you plan to fish. Each county has a website with the info.
Some lakes are managed by fishing clubs, those issue own permits. Complicated, avoid those. There should be signs around those lakes.

Give me the areas where you want to fish and I have a look. Tell us where you will enter Sweden, the direction you will drive.

I would not hesitate to tell you to fish without a permit if you only spend an evening close to each lake, but if they catch you, you might get into trouble, so I will not!

Also please note that you need to follow the Swedish 'Right to roam' regulations.
If you want the bare bones of that- tell me.

Travel guides know nothing. They usually recommend lakes where over fattened and sluggish trout and rainbow trout have been placed.

Fishing from the shore in the sea - no permit needed.

I know Sweden south of Jonkoping like my hand. Also the area between Sodertalje and Stockholm, plus the Dalalven from Gavle all the way to the mountains.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Go on the www.ifiske.se
Change to English language.
Make the map larger, until you see individual lakes in the area where you want to camp/fish. There you will see which lakes are managed by fishing clubs.
If you want to fish in those managed lakes, click on the marker and you will be taken to their website, if they have any. You should be able to find on it info how and where to buy the permit.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks for the help, Janne!

I see, so the iFiske website has mostly private / club owned lakes listed! That makes a lot of sense, thanks! I’ll probably avoid some of those.

Are the other lakes just classed as County owned? We will be starting across the border in Oslo then heading to Torsby- from here we will be heading across towards Sangen. There are a few large lakes around here that look good for some canoeing, camping and fishing but I can’t find any details of permits. After this we are heading up past Mora and up towards Ostersund and Are.

Do I just go on the County website I.e. Dalarna and buy a permit which would cover me for any water without fishing club signs? Thanks for the help. It’s been invaluable!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Troutman, that is correct. The county issues the permits.
Supercontra,
As it is easier for you, would you mind posting the websites for the counties (län) ?

I believe all freshwaters require a permit.
That was the law before I left Sweden 21 years ago, I can not see it changed. We used to be able to buy the permits in petrol stations, but I guess that is no longer possible?

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I am going to glaskogen in a few weeks , there is an info centre in the middle of the nature reserve. They sell fishing permit for all the lakes near there . If your going there might be useful

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Just an update on this, got the app and also purchased license(s) at local shops. The water levels were super low when I visited which didn’t help the fishing! Lots spent on licences and not many fish to show for it. I guess the fishing specific destinations are the ones to try!

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE