Fishing for bass?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Current time is probably the best for the year; Bass wise in S-Wales... Now is your chance to take a large fish.

They sure are good looking fish, unlike the angler pictured!

picture.php

al.

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Ah the elusive sea bass. When I lived in Aberystwyth I could never ever catch one. Caught lots of other things, but never the Ysbinbysg y Môr! Best of luck. Knew a fella how could pull them in one after an other. The only tip I was ever given was they like to hunt in the breakers.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Ah the elusive sea bass. When I lived in Aberystwyth I could never ever catch one. Caught lots of other things, but never the Ysbinbysg y Môr! Best of luck. Knew a fella how could pull them in one after an other. The only tip I was ever given was they like to hunt in the breakers.

I mainly learn from my father, a few people have told me he's a good fisherman.

Hmm could I go spinning at 12 in the day, low water is 15:48.

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
The UK's premier sport fish!

We were supposed to be going for the second time this yr to the llyn next week but a death in the family means its off:(

Shame, we had an awesome few days in july with many fish all taken (and returned) on surface lures and flies. Superb!

It is true that the incoming tide and especially the first hour or so of the ebbing tide is probably the best BUT I have got many bass (all my bass have been on the lure or fly) at low water and in my experience if you find them and you have a little ability you will catch them, they are ferocious hunters and you will not get anything bash a lure as hard!

From a lure anglers perspective, my advise would be cover as much water as possible with the tide times mentioned above favourite and dusk/dawn being preferred (most predatory fish seem to be quite light sensitive)
Lure wise, Lucky Craft Sammys, Xorus Patchinkos, Storm Salty Dogs and the likes did the bizz last time for us and it was incredibly exciting fishing getting massive hits on the surface (cheaper copies might do)

In my experience use a rod of about 8ft casting up to 60g (especially for working surface baits & soft plastics)

A half decent 4000 sized fixed spool with decent 20lb braid and a leader of about 3ft of 20lb flourocarbon.

I understand that this might be a little much for a dabbler but you do it right and you have the best fishing the UK has!
With bars of silver like this
Walesjuly2011062.jpg

and the wifeys
Walesjuly2011076.jpg

One other thing, and I will not judge you!
Bass are very slow growing and stocks need protecting, try and resist especially if its a big 'un and pick up a nasty farmed one from asda on yer way home for t'table!;)
Besides, fresh mackerel kicks its bottom for an eater!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You mentioned mackerel. What mackerel do you have? I've caught both Spanish and King Mackerel here.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
The UK's premier sport fish!

We were supposed to be going for the second time this yr to the llyn next week but a death in the family means its off:(

Shame, we had an awesome few days in july with many fish all taken (and returned) on surface lures and flies. Superb!

It is true that the incoming tide and especially the first hour or so of the ebbing tide is probably the best BUT I have got many bass (all my bass have been on the lure or fly) at low water and in my experience if you find them and you have a little ability you will catch them, they are ferocious hunters and you will not get anything bash a lure as hard!

From a lure anglers perspective, my advise would be cover as much water as possible with the tide times mentioned above favourite and dusk/dawn being preferred (most predatory fish seem to be quite light sensitive)
Lure wise, Lucky Craft Sammys, Xorus Patchinkos, Storm Salty Dogs and the likes did the bizz last time for us and it was incredibly exciting fishing getting massive hits on the surface (cheaper copies might do)

In my experience use a rod of about 8ft casting up to 60g (especially for working surface baits & soft plastics)

A half decent 4000 sized fixed spool with decent 20lb braid and a leader of about 3ft of 20lb flourocarbon.

I understand that this might be a little much for a dabbler but you do it right and you have the best fishing the UK has!
With bars of silver like this
Walesjuly2011062.jpg

and the wifeys
Walesjuly2011076.jpg

One other thing, and I will not judge you!
Bass are very slow growing and stocks need protecting, try and resist especially if its a big 'un and pick up a nasty farmed one from asda on yer way home for t'table!;)
Besides, fresh mackerel kicks its bottom for an eater!

Thanks for that, I have a dexter wedge as a spinner, because I think they are good, also I hate the spikes on bass, how do I handle it?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you do have the good fortune to catch one, watch how you handle it.
The gill plates are like razor blades and will slice you up and the spines on the dorsal will spear you.

Gloves or a towel will suffice.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
The gill plates are like razor blades and will slice you up and the spines on the dorsal will spear you.

Thanks for the help.

Also I want to go spinning tomorrow these are the tides.

Sat 3 Sep
LW HW LW HW
05:41 10:29 17:56 22:52
7.5 m 7.3 m

Can I go at around 11-12:00?

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.

Indeed!

Lip grip them like they do with the largemouths in the US or even get a lip grip like a boga and support the body as well

To be honest many of the Bass I have caught have drawn blood.......small price to pay though!

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Indeed!

Lip grip them like they do with the largemouths in the US or even get a lip grip like a boga and support the body as well

To be honest many of the Bass I have caught have drawn blood.......small price to pay though!

Thanks mate!

But I want to go spinning tomorrow these are the tides.

Sat 3 Sep
LW HW LW HW
7.5 m 7.3 m

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
I trolled a Rapala J11 off the back of the canoe for about 12 miles in my local estuary last weekend and not a touch.I did see my first ever Osprey (with a fish) so that made up for it. :)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Thanks mate!

But I want to go spinning tomorrow these are the tides.

Sat 3 Sep
LW HW LW HW
7.5 m 7.3 m

Put simply (and because I live so far inland and get to fish for Bass so infrequently!) I do not have the luxury of being able to pay too much time to tides/times etc so if I get the opportunity I go! catch for a flooding tide if you can but you will not catch the fish if your lures/bait is not in the water! It is my belief, and sadly most Bass do not get caught more than once so do not get tackle-shy so they are not that wary, that if you put a well presented lure (in my case) on its nose you will get a hit regardless of the state of tide.

If you ask more experienced Bass anglers than I you could get a different opinion but I have a simplistic view and I am generally happy with my catches to visits ratio!

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Hi

Any one interested in Bass fishing, that wants to come to Dorset, your welcome any time. Its all about local knowledge, so you can forget any generic advise, like an hour before the tide and such like!

Fraser

Hi Fraser, I'm in Dorset, done a bit of fishing over the years but I'm no expert so would always appreciate some tips, maybe we could meet up some time and see if you can teach me to catch anything worth eating!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE