fishing advice request

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
See your local and the national Bylaws from the Environment Agency, National bylaw States

"
When fishing with more than one rod, the distance between the butts of the end rods must not exceed three metres. "

Ok, thanks, I revise my question to 3x rods at 5 foot spacing (which is 'real money' for this foreign measurement of 3 metres)

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
The Salmon & Fisheries Act says that an unattended set line is not legal, further info here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/51

I'm no lawyer, but are they not on slightly dodgy ground saying "have in his possession any instrument mentioned in paragraph (a) above intending to use it to take or kill [F4 any such fish in any waters]" as it would be like saying you can't carry anything which could be construed as materiel which could make a device - or like carrying any form of knife as they could be used to kill. I know that's not what they mean and what they are saying is actually - Don't carry anything in this para as it will land you in the pooh. :smile:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
So (forgive my ignorance) does that mean it's OK to use one whilst it can be attended? i.e. hang one from a tree whilst fishing a few feet down the bank? (I have seen one of these used successfully BTW - not in the UK).

No, it can't be attached to a tree or any other structure and left even if you're stood right by it.

As I said, the reel has to be attached to a rod and supervised to be deemed legal in this country.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
"If a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?"
D'oh.

I have yet to meet a single person who actually owns and uses one.
Gave one to my Dad, inherited it, used it until the 80s vintage carbon fell apart. Lost the reel in a kayak incident later. Great piece of kit.

Fishing with more than one rod is weird. I have seen it being done in UK, but do not understand why, as the fidh caught is released back.
Trolling, one on each side to increase the probability cross-section.
Different baits, scientific method.
Greedy neds.
Take your pick.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
“setline” means a fishing line left unattended in water and having attached to it one or more lures or baited hooks;
A bankline is one supporting line with several hooks tied on droplines. Two or more entirely separate apparati don't match the definition. In some norte americano jurisdictions, banklines can be set adrift if and only if the float is labeled with the owner's info, including license number. In my locale, unattended banklines are forbidden.

Beaudreaux is out fishing one day and the Game Warden pulls 'long side. "Beaudreaux, what did I tell you 'bout dynamitin' fish?" Beaudreaux hands the Game Warden a stick of dynamite with a hissin' fuze. "Warden, y'all gonna fish or jes' keep talkin'?"

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A bankline is one supporting line with several hooks tied on droplines. Two or more entirely separate apparati don't match the definition. In some norte americano jurisdictions, banklines can be set adrift if and only if the float is labeled with the owner's info, including license number. In my locale, unattended banklines are forbidden.

Beaudreaux is out fishing one day and the Game Warden pulls 'long side. "Beaudreaux, what did I tell you 'bout dynamitin' fish?" Beaudreaux hands the Game Warden a stick of dynamite with a hissin' fuze. "Warden, y'all gonna fish or jes' keep talkin'?"
Most Southern states allow banklines and trotlines:

- Bankline = a single hook and the line tied to something springy (usually a tree limb) overhanging the bank

-Trotline = a line stretched across a body of water (usually a river or large creek) with each end tied to something on opposite sides of said body of water and has several drop lines with a single hook each (stagings) tied to it between either end.

The fisherman usually sets out from 3 to 10 and baits before dark and the fisherman will check and rebait them (just like you'd check a trapline) every few hours until daylight the next morning.

-Jug fishing = a single line and hook tied to an empty jug (usually a gallon milk jug) and baited and dropped into the water to free float downstream while the fisherman follows. Usually from 5 to 8 jugs are set afloat.

The normal quarry is catfish but other fish will occasionally hit as well (an occasional bass is nice) A few fishermen will only check set hooks (banklines and trotlines) twice a day (just before dark and again just after daylight. Jug fishing by its very nature requires the fisherman follow the jugs downstream in a boat. All such lines are done using large hooks and heavy twisted line that would be fit for tent lines.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
DuPont Wobbler: I got to be one of the post-bang SCUBA divers.

A half stick of Forcite 40% dynamite has a better stunning "push" than a grenade.
Statistics for human survival with % fish stunned and pushed to the surface vs dead(?) on the bottom.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

B.L. craft

Jul 30, 2020
Chester, UK
More legal than a stun grenade in the water though......

Have tried the stun grenade successfully ( so long ago the crime is not a crime anymore :) ) but not the battery technique.
I've used PE4 (Plastic explosive)with great success in Germany while we were filming Armoured Engineers in Action back in the 80's, that was fun :)

B.L. craft

Jul 30, 2020
Chester, UK
Most Southern states allow banklines and trotlines:

- Bankline = a single hook and the line tied to something springy (usually a tree limb) overhanging the bank

-Trotline = a line stretched across a body of water (usually a river or large creek) with each end tied to something on opposite sides of said body of water and has several drop lines with a single hook each (stagings) tied to it between either end.

The fisherman usually sets out from 3 to 10 and baits before dark and the fisherman will check and rebait them (just like you'd check a trapline) every few hours until daylight the next morning.

-Jug fishing = a single line and hook tied to an empty jug (usually a gallon milk jug) and baited and dropped into the water to free float downstream while the fisherman follows. Usually from 5 to 8 jugs are set afloat.

The normal quarry is catfish but other fish will occasionally hit as well (an occasional bass is nice) A few fishermen will only check set hooks (banklines and trotlines) twice a day (just before dark and again just after daylight. Jug fishing by its very nature requires the fisherman follow the jugs downstream in a boat. All such lines are done using large hooks and heavy twisted line that would be fit for tent lines.
Only trouble with this method is that you may end up falling foul of the Environment Agency and Rural crime police in the UK, its against the law. Be careful out there.

Reactions: Robbi

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Greetings,
This is perhaps a bushcraft fishing question. It's really a general freshwater fishing question, but I hope the answers will have bushcraft implications.

I have a tackle box. I have little plastic trays with this, that, and the other lure. I go to a spot and deploy the appropriate lure for the spot. Well and good.

Now I have this little pocket sonar, mentioned in another thread, that says, yes, little fish are a meter down where I expect them. Pull out the x lure and away we go. Oh, the little sonar thing says there are also fish at 2 m and big echoes at 10 m. What to do? Pull out the spinner and tie a triple swivel, sinker, and plastic fish. One rod ready, prepare the other one. Look at at the ends of the Rapala boxes to find something that will draw close to 2 m. OK, ready to cast. Oh, no, now the fish icons at 1.5 m and 8 m. Dig for another Rap. Tie on different sinker.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong. <existential cry of despair/> What should I do?

Bushcraft implications: We pack a very small, generalized kit with a very small assortment of hooks, sinkers, and line. We improvise poles with local vegetation ("down and dead" is the rule for making poor fishing poles...) So how can bushcraft fishing knowledge be improved by answering the question of varying fish at varying depths?

Home now, caught zero fish.
watercraft trumps sonar I wouldn't class sonar as bushcrafty at all but that's just my view.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I have been fishing for over 5 decades and not seen a more useless method than with that reel.

The previous ’most useless’ was that contraption that kind of ejected the line and bait from the top.
I agree to much stuff is overhyped close to 3" decades myself.yo yo feels no good.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Common mullein renders fish unconscious according to one of my survival books. Doesn't seem practical; it would take a lot of crushed mullein leaves to dose a pond sufficiently large to contain fish worth catching.
it's the seeds u need .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE