Fish trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Made a fish trap today, my first one, so it took almost 4 hours to complete it. Based on traditional swedish fish traps, hopefully it'll catch some perch.
Chicken net, 3mm iron wire for the frame and 1,5mm wire for lashing it all together. Ca 100x60x60 cm.

The frame
DSCN0320-Redigera.jpg

DSCN0321-Redigera.jpg

The completed trap
DSCN0323-Redigera.jpg

Barely showing, the hook that open the bottom part for getting out the fish.
DSCN0326-Redigera-Redigera.jpg

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
The fish swims in through the middle, reaches the back wall, follows that wall out and around and when it comes back to the middle it won't find it's way out. Like other traps for flys and such. No magic, just stupid creatures:)

shootfive

May 25, 2011
Grantham, Lincolnshire
This is a very nice piece of handiwork, I'm impressed. I imagine this will be quite effective too in the right place and setting (I suppose it must be, the idea has survived generations after all).

Where will you be using it? I wonder if there is more to be gained from facing upstream or down (or in still water??)

I'm very interested in things like this - ingenious, a traditional design and above all it may well put food on the table.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
interesting thread, i was wondering the same question that shootfive is thing too. brilliant design and what i like about it is it's selective on what you catch, and any by-product can be put back alive :)

shootfive

May 25, 2011
Grantham, Lincolnshire
what i like about it is it's selective on what you catch, and any by-product can be put back alive :)

Agree with this also - forgot to mention it. The ability to be able to return, unharmed, any species you don't want to eat, or any numbers excessive for your own consumption, makes this design a winner.

edit: How many commas in that sentence? Hope it makes sense! :confused:

Last edited:

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Where will you be using it? I wonder if there is more to be gained from facing upstream or down (or in still water??)
We'll be using this trap in the lake we live at.
In streaming water I would put the entrance opposite the flow. So in the main stream it would face downstream and if placed in a back water, upstream. I think most fish face the flow when swimming.
There are traps with entrances from 2 sides, some think they are better as you don't have to guess from which direction the fish comes:).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE