Fish Skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I was skinning some fish for dinner tonight and it occured to me just how tough they were. Does anyone know if they have any use?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I've seen eel and salmon skins cured and processed into leather goods before, so I'm sure that at least some fish skin can be used.
Try a search for curing methods or alternatively someone here might know.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I know you can tan fish skin and it is tough as have seen handbags made from it, not sure what the process is though.

Greg

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Ranger Bob said:
I was skinning some fish for dinner tonight and it occured to me just how tough they were. Does anyone know if they have any use?

Like ranger Bob mentions, some have been tanned. Nile perch, Salmon, and (I think) Carp are sometimes offered in leatherwork shops.

Dogfish has apparently been used as an abrasive for woodworking (sandpaper substitute).

But as a kid, I was always told to eat the skin, as "it's where all the vitamins are"... but then, I think that mothers always lie to their kids.

Keith.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have used salmon skin for backing bows as it is very thin (therefore light) and tough. I usually colour it by making a tanning solution from oak bark.
get a pile of oak bark roughly chopped cover with water and simmer for a few hours let it sit for 24 hours and strain off the juice. Put the fleshed and descaled fish skins in this solution and give them a stir every so often so all parts of the skin are exposed to the solution. It'll take about 4 or 5 days to tan them. I then rinse them out and roll them up and store them in the freezer 'til I need them. If you don't want to freeze them just scrape, scale and wash them well and nail them to a board until the dry and as long as they don't get wet they'll last indefinately.
I have made a bowstring from the rawhide too but haven't used it so I don't know it's durability.
I have also tried to make leather with limited success, it turned out rather stiff and crackly but worked ok.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
To the best of my knowledge, fish skin is mainly used to stop the inside of fish from being on the outside.

Other than that I have heard of dogfish skin being cured and made into gloves... I'm not sure I'd want to though. Maybe at a basic level you could try and make some kind of waterproof pouch and go on from there.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Tanned fish skins were used as non -slip sword handles in the 18th and 19th century.Shark and ray skins were tanned and called shagreen when used decoratively(very hard wearing)

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've got a wolffish skin wallet, I've tanned conger skin before and I've seen plenty of salmon skin goods - apparently it's due to become the latest leather for shoes and bags. My own attempts at tanning scaled fish haven't gone too well - it either dissolves ( in urine ) or turns out like cellophane ( oil tan ). I got a wolfskin tanned ok( Oil method ) but it got destroyed/lost in the move or one of my ex's tantrums.

The fish smell does go after a couple of months of sitting around.
Oneforthepot

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Salmon skin used to be used to make 'cagouls'/ water proof overjackets, It's also used to make water proof leggings.
Thanks for all the info.....we get quite a lot of salmon and a friend keeps asking me about tanning the skins...we've also got *lots* of oakbark :) He can do it himself!
Toddy

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I seem to remember Ray Mears mentioning that the Eskimo/Inuit people used tanned Salmon skins to make very hard wearing and water proof mitten for kayaking....

Don't think he went into details of how they did it though....

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
the simplest way is supposed to be to soak the salmon skin in stale urine for a couple of days then rinse and break. Whenever I've tried it the skin has just dissolved, too much red meat in my diet?
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE