Fish poacher/ smoker ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm just home from an early foray around the car boot sale at Blocairn..........among my good finds........100m 3mm paracord unopened on reel £5 :approve:..........I got a brand new, never opened out of the box, stainless steel, fish poacher for £1.50 :D

It's this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ClearView-Del...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Has anybody turned one of these into a smoker ?

It's a touch on the big size for my cooker, but it will fit on the grill on my big firebowl that gets used under the 'chute.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Toddy

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Sorry Toddy misunderstood your title, must go back to repairing my nets and have a fag.

Andy

I was given a smoker some time ago and the way I understand that one works, I believe if you put wood chips in the bottom of the pan, then a shelf or grill with the fish on and then the lid and place the whole thing above your fire by about 3 to 5 inches. It would sufficiently heat the wood chips to make smoked fish. Not sure of effect on pan ie burned out bottom etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Toddy misunderstood your title, must go back to repairing my nets and have a fag.

AndyQUOTE]

:D :rolleyes:

Cheers Andy, I really didn't think that one out too well, did I ? :eek:

It's actually a cracking great pan, I just need to work out if it's worth using it or not, I was wondering about smoking things like Tofu and Polenta, maybe Quorn or TVP......no idea what on Earth I'll do with it if I don't use it for a smoker, I'm allergic to fish........and I wanted to be a Marine Biologist when I was a kid :rolleyes: :)

atb,
Toddy

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I always wanted to be an archaeologist, to dim OH well.

Could the pan be used like a dutch oven and have ember piled over it or just as an oven I'm not sure on the depth of it, but it might work.

Andy

Ps Thought you were starting a dating thread.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Hi Marry,
I recommend the Abu Garcia wood dust you get from fishing tackle shops and a spirit/trangia burner as the heat source, you don't want it too hot even for hot smokin'
jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just opened a bag of those wood chips..........you could get drunk on the smelll alone :eek:

It's awfully big Jon :( I think I'm going to struggle a bit to get any small heat source to work under it :dunno: We can but try. Thanks for the heads up on the dust stuff :)

cheers,
M

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I'm just home from an early foray around the car boot sale at Blocairn..........among my good finds........100m 3mm paracord unopened on reel £5 :approve:..........I got a brand new, never opened out of the box, stainless steel, fish poacher for £1.50 :D

It's this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ClearView-Del...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Has anybody turned one of these into a smoker ?

It's a touch on the big size for my cooker, but it will fit on the grill on my big firebowl that gets used under the 'chute.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Toddy

The one I have is 18" long it fits into the oven at a bit of a angle but I mainly use it across both burners on the top of the cooker I did think if it could be used as a smoker but would'nt you need vents on the lid...I don't want to drill holes in it saying that at £1.50 I may be tempted I think I paid about £12 out of TKMaxx

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Pretty sophisticated stuff being discussed here!
I use a quality street tin with a small hole knocked in the top with a screwdriver. I rest trout on a piece of chicken wire above the sawdust. I then plonk this on the BBQ and light a few chunks of charcoal. You don’t want to get it too hot.
Any hardwood sawdust will add flavour, but the best I’ve used is apple tree from the one I took down at my mother’s a couple of years back.

I like to just sip my whiskey, not burn it. Then again I've got a bottle of Old Pultney, given to me by an old friend from Wick, and that tastes like burnt rubber bands....(sorry Al.:D )

In case anyone’s interested?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE